Best Sewing Machine for Quilting: Reviews Of 2020 (Recommended!)
Presently, there are nearly 24 renowned and numerous of other small manufacturing company that builds sewing machine for quilting. Each of them claims their ones to be the best. Therefore, this is normal for an average person to get confused.
So if you are one of them, we are here to help you find the best sewing machine for quilting.
Our team has done the real hard work to measure the potential and performance of a number of sewing machines that are currently available and finally they have come up with a top ten list.
Here I will discuss every key points about them and hope by the end of these sewing machine for quilting reviews you will find the most suitable one for you.
Need help to decide? Here's our top 4 picks in a short overview!
1. SINGER Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The 23 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches allow you to sew a variety of projects, such as fashions, home décor, quilts, crafts, and more
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration. Amps (0.7). Watts (84). Volts (120). Hz (60)
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE:The Singer 4423 Sewing Machine has a maximum sewing speed of 1, 100 stitches-per-minute, so projects can be sewn quickly. The 60% Stronger Motor provides greater piercing power for thick seams
- HEAVY DUTY METAL FRAME: The Singer 4423 heavy duty sewing machine is a true workhorse. With a heavy-duty metal interior frame, stainless steel bedframe, extra-high sewing speed and powerful motor, this sewing machine can sew through a variety of heavy weight fabrics and provides long lasting stability
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of accessories are included with All-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, seam ripper/lint brush, quilting guide, needles, bobbins, screwdriver, auxiliary spool pin, spool pin felt are all conveniently located and stored in the accessory tray. A soft-sided dust cover is also included in the packaging
Nobody wants any boundary while quilting and this is obvious that without a heavy duty machine this is not possible to cope up with different materials that quilter uses. In such situations, the Singer 4423 is the best solution.
This is hard to believe that this machine has an 1100 SPM stitching rate. As a quilter, you must know that high SPM rate creates intense vibration. To reduce the impact of this high vibration, Singer 4423 comes with heavy duty metal frame that doesn't only reduces the vibration but also gives the machine durability.
As I have mentioned above, this machine can deal with all types of materials that quilters use. Whether its thick or thin cloth or leather, with strong piercing power, it will get the job done with smooth finishing.
This became possible by a powerful motor that is 60% more powerful than of the most of the other sewing machine.
You know how much time consuming and fascinating it's to thread the needle. To give the user relief from this, this machine has a built-in needle threader. Again a drop in bobbin system makes it easier to insert and out the bobbins.
To sew different type of material, controlling the intensity of the pressure foot is necessary for the smooth flow of the materials. For this reason, this machine has foot pressure controlling system.
Although everything is pretty much impressive about this machine, the only lacking is in the stitch function. While most of the machine offers around 100 stitch function, this one only has 23.
Among this 12 are decorative stitches and others are for buttonhole, basic sewing and zippers sewing. 12 decorative stitch function may seem not to be adequate, but when you know the core of design, you can do fabulous works with this 12 decorative stitches.
If you need heavy duty machine that gives you same performance with time and withstands all the requirements you can consider this one.
- 23 stitch functions with 12 decorative ones
- Automatic needle threading
- Drop in bobbin system for easy insertion
- 11oo SPM stitching rate
- Durable heavy frame
- Pressure foot control
- Singer sewing app guidance
- 60% powerful motor
- Deals with a large verity of materials
- Necessary accessories
2. Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine
- 60 Unique built-in stitches: The Brother CS6000i includes 60 built-in sewing stitches, including decorative stitches and 7 styles of auto-size buttonholes
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing and quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Included accessories: The CS6000i includes a hard protective case, wide table, 10 sewing feet, needle set including twin needle, 3 bobbins and more
- LCD Screen: Easily select your stitches with the touch of a button and view your selections on the LCD display
- 25 Year limited warranty: The CS6000i is backed by a 25 year limited warranty with free technical support for the life of the product
Brother CS6000i is a perfect sewing machine for the newbies at an entry-level price. When you are a newbie, this is not wise to break the bank for a high-end machine that you can't operate with your little expertise. Therefore according to my opinion, this will be the best machine if you are just starting out. Let’s see why?
First of all this machine comes with 60 built-in stitches that include 20 decorative, 20 clothing, 7 quilting, 6 heirloom and 7 auto buttonhole styles.
Therefore, you can use this machine not only for quilting but also for other purposes like garments works and daily sewing. A simple LCD display displays the current status of sewing and as a selector of stitches.
The stitching rate of this machine is 850 and that can be controlled by the adjusting button. For easy threading, this one also uses automatic threading and the super bright Led lamp makes it easier to sew in the dark. The bobbin winding system of this machine is superefficient and effortless.
Finally, the extended table makes it easier for the quilters to quilt on large projects.
If you want to produce an outstanding result from the beginning, you are going to need an outstanding machine and for that reason, I will recommend you this one.
- 60 built-in stitches for fancy design
- 850 SPM sewing rate
- LCD display for real-time sewing status
- Automatic needle threading
- Easy bobbin winding
- Bright LED for clear sight
- Extended table for ease of work
3. Brother HC1850 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 185 Unique built-in stitches: The HC1850 includes 130 sewing stitches including 8 styles of auto-size buttonholes, plus 55 alphanumeric sewing stitches
- Advanced needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing and quilting machine includes an advanced needle threading function that easily pushes thread through the needle with the press of a lever and a jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Included accessories: The HC1850 quilting and sewing machine includes a wide table, 8 feet, instructional DVD, manual and more
- LCD Screen: Easily select your stitches with the touch of a button and view your selections on the LCD display
- At your side support: The HC1850 quilting and sewing machine comes with Brother At your side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
In whatever stage you are beginner, intermediate or expert the Brother HC1850 is the complete solution for you that can handle any sewing situation.
Hc1850 comes with 130 stitches that include special stitches for decorative design, garments sewing, quilting, buttonhole etc. Therefore, if you are a professional quilter, this is able to feed your stitch hunger.
There is also a font function that makes it possible to put your personal mark on design. This is also possible to adjust the length and width of the stitches by pressing the controlling button.
All the stitch functions are marked with number indicator with the body of the machine so that the selection of the stitch function is effortless. A large LCD display views the sewing status. This machine has the highest sewing speed of 850SPM and the speed can be controlled by the three-stage button.
A large verity of pressure foot is added to this machine and this foot will help to work on different type of materials. Also, the foot pressure controlling system makes it easier to work on both thick and thin materials. The feeding system is improved in this machine than the previous and this makes it possible to work on any type of fabrics.
In this machine, both the bobbin threading and needle threading is automatic in this machine. For bobbin threading, all you need is to attach the thread to the bobbin and the automatic system will do the rest.
The drop in bobbin system makes it easier to plug in and plus out the bobbin. The drop system makes this one a great free motion quilting machine. You can either operate this machine with the foot or by hand. To operate this with hand all you need is just to unplug the foot controller.
If you are an average quilter, this machine will be enough for you to quilt smoothly but if you are really serious, then we also have a solution for you. For that keep reading.
- 850 SPM rate for quick sewing.
- 9 pressure feet for different materials.
- 130 stitch function of various kind.
- One font function for marking.
- Easy bobbin winding and needle threading.
- LC display and LED light.
- Both foot and hand operation.
- Large extension table for ease in sewing.
4. JUKI TL-2000Qi Sewing and Quilting Machine
- Updated with LED lights and one pedal operation
- 1500 SPM for quilting apparel and home décor
- Automatic needle threader
- Aluminum die cast arm and bed for low vibration operation
- Extension table included for wide work area
Because of having 1500 stitches capability per minute, you can consider TL-2000Qi from JUKI – the best sewing machine for quilting when the works need to be done fast.
Now the question that arises, how this machine will handle the high vibration that creates due to the massive stitching rate. Ok, this has been solved by the aluminum die cast arm and bed.
Again for the ease of use, this one also has one paddle operation that controls the speed and trimming. Moreover, the extension table makes it easier to work on with a large area.
In 2018 the quilters can’t imagine a sewing machine without auto threading and yes, this feature is also present in this machine.
For both commercial and personal use, I give preference to this machine just not for the speed but also for quality performance over time.
- 1500 SPM speed for fastest quilting.
- One paddle controlling for the ease of operation.
- Led lights for proper vision.
- Heavyweight body construction for low vibration.
- Automatic needle threader and table extension.
5. Brother XR3774 Full-Featured Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 37 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The Brother XR3774 includes 37 built-in stitches including blind hem, decorative and quilting stitches and a 1-step buttonhole
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: This sewing and quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The XR3774 quilting and sewing machine comes with a machine cover, wide table, 8 sewing feet, instructional DVD, and more
- VERSATILE FREE ARM: The Brother XR3774 is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing and quilting projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- AT YOUR SIDE SUPPORT: The XR3774 quilting and sewing machine comes with Brother at your side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
A lot more features in a comprehensive budget – if this is what you are looking for, I will recommend you to go for Brother XR3774.
As per my evaluation, this is the best sewing machine for quilting beginner. The reason behind my perception is this version is designed for personal use where versatility and ease of use are highly expected.
First of all this machine has 37 unique stitch mode with a total of 74 functions. So from old fashion to fancy, whatever you love you can get it done. The stitch mode controller lets you select different stitching modes simultaneously and for getting a quick view of the stitching modes, they are marked just over the controller.
This is really important to have a large verity of stitch function when you want to make fancy designs that have variations in every craft.
The functions of this machine are not only confined with just regular stitching. You can also make buttonhole zipper lines with perfect stitches.
If you have a little understanding of sewing machine then you must know how sewing changes the performance of different mode. To handle different situations, this one comes with 8 sewing feet.
Just like other sewing machines of this days, this one also has LED light, auto threading etc. as mandatory features. A large table extension will also make it easy to quilt on. But a unique feature of this machine is the easy drop-in ribbon system. For most of the machine, it requires to set the ribbon at the bottom part and that is annoying. Brothers have done a good job here I think you will also agree.
The maximum switching speed of this machine is 800 SPM. From this rating, this is clear that this machine is only suitable for personal use and I have mentioned this before. So if you want to work commercially, then you have to go for the higher SPM rate.
For the newbies who want to give their work a kick start with a user-friendly machine, this machine is recommended as at the starting it's wise to keep the budget low and get and quality one.
- 37 different stitching mode.
- One foot controlling.
- 8 different types of stitching foot.
- Needle set, bobbins, and other must-have accessories.
- Machine cover for dust protection.
- Large table for the ease of quilting.
6. Janome 2212 Sewing Machine
- Easy turn dial pattern selection
- 12 built-in stitches including a four-step buttonhole
- Stitch width adjustment and length adjustment ensures ease of use
- Drop feed for free motion sewing and quilting
- 110-volt machine, for use in US only
Although doesn’t have that many functionalities, the reason why the Janome 2212 sewing machine stands above the crowd is its simplicity. For this reason, this is one of the most suitable quilting machines for those who are just starting out.
Because of having drop feeding features, this machine can be considered the best sewing machine for free motion quilting. This is really important for the beginners as they aren't used to quilting and need some adjustments to the machine.
This sewing machine has only 12 built-in stitches and I think that will be adequate for the newbies and not for those who want more complex design in their craft. You will also get four step buttonhole stitch function in this 12 set. The selection of stitches is really easy and the user will get a quick insight of what stitch he or she is using form the stitch manual attached to the machine.
Another great feature of this machine is it has stitch adjustments functionalities in both the directions. You can set the stitch length up to 4 mm and with to 5 mm and if you are totally new to quilting, this is going to help you out most.
Although everything of this sewing machine is appreciating, the only bad thing about this machine is its sewing table size. This is really small compared to the normal. Therefore, if you work on a large craft, you are going to face some trouble.
I will only recommend you this machine if you are totally a newbie and need a basic machine to start out quilting.
- 12 stitch function with buttonhole.
- 5 feet dog with for different stitching mode.
- Maximum 5 mm stitch width and 4 mm stitch length.
- Easy bobbin winder.
- Vertical oscillation of hook bobbin.
- Basic instruments.
- Motion-free sewing with drop feed feature.
7. SINGER | 7258 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine
- PUSH BUTTON STITCH SELECTION: The SINGER Stylist 7258 sewing machine allows you to select the desired stitch with just a simple push of a button. Optimum settings for length, width and tension are set automatically and are customizable with adjustable stitch length and stitch width. Volts : 120V. Amps : 0.62. Watts-74
- WARRANTY: SINGER Stylist 7258 Sewing Machine has 25 Year Limited Warranty , 60 Hertz
- This sewing machine is warranted for use in the US and Canada at 110 volts only
When the sewing machine is from Singer, we always expect more and the 7258 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine is no different.
The first thing that charms me most is a large number of stitches. It's hard to believe that this small machine offers 100 different stitches that include basic stretch and decorative. You can also make perfect buttonholes and there are stitches for them.
As your main target is to quilt, a large verity of stitches is going to help you make more fancy and complex designs. But don't think that you can't use this one as a good machine for basic sewing purposes. This also serves this purpose professionally.
You know, it’s really frustrating to thread the needle every time as it stretches the eye a lot. Thanks to Singer, they have added automatic needle threader with this.
The next is about the sewing speed. Although the sewing speed of this machine is not that much high, a 750 SPM is enough for most of the quilter. If you are a newbie or an intermediate this is going to serve your purposes nicely. For this, we can have a conclusion that, this machine is the best fit for personal use and in some cases, for moderate use for commercial purposes.
After all of this, it comes about the usability of this machine. Here this rocks again. The user has the full control of this machine as it's possible to adjust the length and width of the stitches, speed, tension on the cloth.
Moreover, the stitch selection is also interesting. While most of the sewing machine uses a knob, that needs to be turned to shift from one stitch function to another, this one simply has small buttons to get this job done. Fan of a new technology, then I'm sure you are going to love this.
Although everything is very impressive about this machine, there is a problem, the sewing table. This is somewhat small, and as a result, creates fascination while sewing large crafts.
If you are looking for such a machine that serves the quality for a long time, then I will recommend you this one. I assure you will be satisfied with the performance.
- 100 stitches with variation in style.
- 750 SPM sewing rate for quick work.
- Easy selection of stitches with a computerized system.
- Stitch length and width adjustability.
- Full automatic needle threading.
- 10 presser feet and other accessories.
- Durable and heavy frame for low vibration.
8. Juki HZL-F600 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 255 Sewing Patterns and 4 Fonts
- comes with knee lift and extension table
- Exclusive automatic thread trimming by heel motion of foot pedal
- Walking foot for sewing multiple layers including denim and quilting
- Durable quilting foot and quilt guide
Are you looking for a professional quality high-end sewing machine for quilting? Then I think the Juki HZL-F600 is the one that you are most probably searching for.
The F-series machines from Juki are made for industrial and commercial use. And hence, if quilting is your profession or thinking about quilting commercially, you must have a look at this. Why?
Because this is loaded with such features that every professional must need.
As for example, while most of the sewing machine uses parabolic rotating feed, this one has box feed. The result more efficient and smooth flow of clothes and hence quick quilting.
255 Sewing Patterns! Oh! That's a dream of almost every quilter. And you can have this on this machine only. But how about if you get some writing? I think that won't be bad. You will have 4 fonts on this machine. This sewing machine is also featured with random stitching. This repeats two or more patterns simultaneously.
You can directly switch from pattern to pattern just like you type numbers in your phone. An LCD display your current sewing status so that you never make mistake.
A good workability on both light and heavy material have made this one the best sewing machine for quilting and embroidery. For light material, it won't create any shrinkage and for the thick materials no lagging. You can do this easily by lifting the knee lever.
I have mentioned in the previous reviews that for smoothness in quilting you need a large table and on this machine, you are going to get this. Also, the stable thread tension gives you free motion sewing. The final result of these features is smoothly finished stitches.
After all of these great features, this machine got auto threading of the needles, LED lights, foot control, buttonhole sensor, powerful feeding method a lot more.
If you want to take your quilting to the next level - without any doubt, this is the only machine that is going to help you.
- 255 stitches with different models and 4 fonts.
- 900 SPM stitching rate for the quick job.
- 33mm x 66mm LCD display.
- Easy stitch shifting.
- Free motion sewing.
- Durable frame construction.
- Random stitches.
- Foot pressure adjustments.
- Extension table.
- Quick stop needle for more precise work.
- Efficient feeding system.
9. SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 portable sewing machine has loads of ease-of-use features to allow you to fulfill your creative dreams Has a large selection of stitches including basic, stretch and decorative stitches for fashion sewing, quilting, home decor and crafting There’s even a selection of fonts to personalize projects
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle’s eye, in seconds The built-in needle threader threads the eye of the needle for you, eliminating eye strain and frustration
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has 600 Built-In Stitches including 5 Alphanumeric Fonts and 13 built-in 1-Step Buttonholes with Exclusive Buttonhole Underplate It also has Mirror Imaging and Stitch Elongation providing even more creative possibilities
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 850 stitches-per-minute, projects can be sewn quickly
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of presser feet are included with the sewing machine: All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot with Underplate, Button Sewing Foot, Blind Hem Foot, Satin Stitch Foot, Open Toe Foot, Overcasting Foot, Darning and Embroidery Foot, Rolled Hem Foot, Cording Foot, Straight Stitch/Quilting Foot, Even Feed / Walking Foot 110 volt machine designed for United States and Canadian use only
The best sewing machine in the best budget – that's our comment after evaluating this sewing machine.
First of all, I want to talk about the number of stitches. You can choose your preferred one from 600 different stitches. This stitches includes basic, decorative and stretch ones. So with this much of stitch functions, the only limitation in your imagination to be quilting empire.
You will also get 5 fonts on this machine. Therefore, if you want a mark of your on your work, this is possible with this machine. There is also 16 buttonhole creator stitches that makes it possible perfect buttonholes every time. With mirror imaging and stitch elongation feature, you can create more creative design.
The maximum stitching seed of this machine is 850 SPM. According to my experience, this is enough for most of the users to get their job done as soon as possible.
After all of this, it comes about the workability of this machine. This one also wins this race. This is one of the few machines that offers portability. So switching from room to room or place to place is not that much fascinating. You can either operate this machine by foot or by hand if you want.
For speed control, you will have speed leaver and it's easy to operate. Again with easy to use dashboard and LCD display, switching from one stitch function to another is very much easy. You can also edit the stitches on this dashboard. All these became possible by the computerized mechanism.
Auto needle threading system of this machine will give your eye relief from stress that the manual threading. Again easy to load drop-in bobbin feature makes it easy to load, unload and thread them. This will save your time and swift your work.
Finally the extension table. This is different from other sewing machine and also innovative. You can attach and detach this easily as well you can level this table by adjusting the screw. A large extension table is mandatory when you stitch large clothes, especially for quilting.
If you want to work on a large verity of projects, you can rely on this machine without any worry.
- 600 stitch function with variations.
- 850 SPM rate for quick operation.
- Extension table for ease of work.
- 5 fonts for personalized work.
- Mirror imaging and stitch elongation.
- Foot or hand operation and hence portable.
- Easy stitch selection.
- Twin needle setting for presser foot clearance.
- Auto threading feature and other necessary accessories.
10. Eversewn - Sparrow 20 - 80 Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine
- 80 stitch, computerized sewing machine
- LCD Display, Drop-in Hook System
- Start/stop button, LED sewing light, Needle stop up/down
- 49 Decorative stitches, 10 Quilting stitches
- 7mm Maximum stitch width, 4.5mm Maximum stitch length
If you are a fan of quality over quantity then surely you will love the Eversewn - Sparrow 20.
Although this one isn't loaded with tons of features, you will find all the necessary things in it. Firstly, 49 decorative stitches and 10 quilting stitches made this one fit for both basic quilting and embroidery. There are also 21 stitches that are for buttonhole and zipper creation. So, whenever it comes about cloth sewing, this machine isn't useless. This small machine also offers computerized controlling.
With a two-digit LCD and button controller, this allows the users to get full control of the machine. Again, the stitches are also editable. The maximum length for one stitch is 7mm and width is 4.5 mm.
For perfect stitch, there is tension control system in this sewing machine and with two needle positioning, you can get more personalized designs. The stitching rate of this sewing machine is 850 SPM and that is quite impressive for a small machine like this.
The specialty of this machine is in its user-friendly operation. While most of the machines are very much complicated for the beginners to use, this one gives the users full facility and control over the machine.
There are only two things that we don't like about this machine, one is there is no automatic needle threading system and the other is the short table system. Otherwise, quality, durability, and workability - from whatever angle you judge, this is a good performer.
Finally, if you are a beginner and looking for a personal sewing machine for quilting, I recommend you this machine. Surely it will satisfy you with a brilliant performance.
- 80 stitches with decorative and quilting ones.
- Two needle positioning.
- Instant stitch stop feature.
- Max 7mm stitch length and 4.5 mm width.
- Drop in hook system for ease of work.
- 163mm free arm space for working on the large project.
- Computerized controlling system and LCD display.
- Two-step pressure controlling for the foot.
- Feet, bobbin, and other accessories.
Buying Guide For Best Sewing Machine for Quilting
In order to find the most suitable one for you, you have to keep many things in your head. Some of the most important things are as bellow.
1. Stitch Function
The more the stitch function the fancier and complex design you can make. Most of the advanced machine offers around one hundred stitch function. But remember, stitch function is not the only thing that determines everything.
As a beginner, you can start with low numbers but when you are a quilting geek, go for the higher one. Again, stitch length and width adjusting is necessary when you want to quilt with a sewing machine. Make sure this feature is available if the stitch length is long.
Some machine also offers font function. This simply lets you make your own marks on the design. If you prefer this, you can have one of such kind.
2. Stitching Rate
Although a high stitching rate isn’t always good for quilting as most of the time the lines are curved, a high SPM rate will bring swiftness when you work on garments and bordering the quilt.
As a beginner you don’t need a high SPM rate but if you are an intermediate or expert than you know this better how much SPM you need.
3. Table & Free Arm Area
Table length and free arm area are two great issues. As quilting is done on thick clothes this is not possible to room them in a small area under the ar. Again if the table is short then it's also tough to work on large pieces of craft. I will always recommend you go to the large table and wide arm area.
4. Needle Threading and Bobbin Winding
Dong these two manually is really annoying. First of all the needle threading stresses the eye and bobbin winding is time-consuming. Therefore I will recommend you choose a machine that has automatic bobbin winding and needle threading system.
This is obvious that vibration is bad for quilting environment. As sewing machine makes the circular movement changed to two directional movement it always creates vibration.
But with a heavy metal frame, the impact can be reduced. Therefore you should choose one with heavyweight although it may create some problem when you change the place.
The final thing that you should be concerned of is controlling the machine. A machine may have a lot of features, but without a good controlling system, they are useless. A good controlling system is also necessary for smoothness in work and fine finishing design.
So make sure you have a machine that is easy to operate and don't get yourself blind just with the features.
How to Set a Sewing Machine for Quilting
Generally, a sewing machine is specified for sewing on garments. But when you want to quilt with them they need to be configured accordingly. For that, you can follow the steps below.
Oil the Machine
For quilting, you need a smooth machine. Oiling the machine is first to step to make it smooth. Some machine just requires to pour oil in a hole and other requires to oil different parts separately.
Place the Machine in the Right Place
The next step is to set the machine in the right place. This is wise to set it in a corner of the room. You can weather operate the machine with foot controller or by hand. Find out how you will feel comfortable and set accordingly.
Lower the SPM
As you are quilting with a sewing machine, not with a quilting one. You have to lower the stitching rate because at high SPM rate stitches aren't that denser and the finishing isn't that much good.
Quilting is done on thick clothes and therefore you need a special foot for this. Therefore, you have to install the darning foot. This is also called by free motion foot or hopping foot. The specialty of this type of foot is that when the needle goes up the foot also does the same.
Lower the Feet Dog
The next step is to lower the feed dog. If you are on a new machine you need to use the leaver and the machine is older it requires the cover. Lowering the feet dog will hold the cloth more efficiently and hence improve the quilting performance of the machine.
Decrease the Stitch Length
If you think large stitch will make your quilt look good, you are wrong. This is because large stitch doesn't attach to the cloth nicely. Therefore, you need to decrease the length of smooth quilting.
Stop the Thread Cutter
Thread cutter helps a lot when you work on garments. But for quilting, it's really bad. While you quilt you have to trim the threads afterward you finished it. So to prepare the machine for quilting, you have to shut off the thread cutter.
Stop Down the Needle
This function is simple. It makes the machine stop while the needle is inside the quilt. I think you have got it.
Select Stitch Plate
Not every stitching plate is suitable for quilting. For quilting, you have to select a stitch plate that has only one hole in it because you are not using multiple needles.
Reduce the Foot Pressure
Although this is not always necessary according to the foot you have selected and thickness of the cloth you may need to fix it.
Disable the Fix Stitch
You have to shut down the fix stitch function. While your quilt with a sewing machine what it does is created knots in the thread.
When the machine has gone through all the steps that I have mentioned above, it's ready to start quilting.
Quilting Machine Maintenance: How to Take Care of It?
Everybody wants a long service time from their machine and without maintenance, this is not possible. No matter how good your machine is, without proper maintenance, the performance will go down gradually. So to keep the machine running with a full outcome you have to do some care work.
1. Use Cover
Modern sewing machines are built with micro parts and the most advanced ones have the computer system. Although you can't see, the air always carries dust. Therefore sewing machine is always attacked by dust. For protection always cover the machine when you don't use it.
There is always some dust in the air so as in the clothes and other materials. They easily inserted into the machine. Again when the needle pierces the cloth the process also creates microfibers that go directly into the machine.
Therefore the machine need s cleaning on a regular basis. So for long lasting durability and enhanced performance lightly clean the machine after every project and each three months clean it thoroughly. Always clean the machine parts by parts for efficiency.
3. Use Good Accessories
Say you have a super quality machine, but you can’t get super performance if you don’t use quality accessories with it. The durability of the machine also depends on the quality of the accessories you use with the machine.
Therefore, always use quality threads and the manufacturer prescribed needle with the machine.
For smoothness in stitching, it is necessary to oil the machine thoroughly. Some of the new machines has a hole and pouring oil in this hole will get the job done. But the older versions may require to oil it by parts. Use an adequate amount of oil and wipe the access after oiling. Run the machine without any clothes in it for up to three minutes.
5. Needle Changing
This is a bad habit of the most of the user to change the needle when it's broken or damaged. But believe me, this is a big mistake. After days of use, the piercing power of the needle goes low.
This torn the clothes and the machine needs extra power to do this. Therefore, the life of the machine goes down. So always change the needle on a regular basis.
6. Lint Removing
Lint is created by the microfiber from the clothes that the torn by the threads and needle. They bulk in amount and gam the machine. You have to clean them with brush and sometimes you can find them to be clogged. In that situation, you have to cut them.
Although we use oil in the machine to resist friction, there is always some friction that can never be resisted. This friction creates damage to the parts of the machine. As a result, the machine gives a bad performance.
Therefore you need to know when to change these parts and if you don't know how to do this contact with a professional who can fix it.
Wrapping it Up!
Finally, we are the end of this sewing machine for quilting reviews. In the end, my suggestion to you is that don't be fooled by those unnecessary fancy features rather look for quality, performance, and durability.
All the sewing machine that we have reviewed here have proven performance and reliability record. Therefore, I will suggest you prefer from this list.
If you still have any confusion you can let me know that in the comment box.
Enter your text here...