Best Sewing Machine for Beginners Reviews 2021
Do you remember a time when every household had a sewing machine?
Each of our mothers, aunts and grandmothers could not only make simple repairs and tucks, but even make their own clothes. They were all fabulous tailors and fashion designers, and most of their clothes came from their own sewing machines.
Some of them were quite handy and could produce professional-grade clothes, quilts and wall-hangings, but they all knew how to use a beginner’s sewing machine well.
These days, a sewing machine can’t be seen in every home, but they are nevertheless an useful tool to have around. Sewing machines for beginners these days are small and uncomplicated tools, easy for anyone to handle, and you can use them for simple repair works and easy sewing jobs around the house.
Need a quick decision? Check our top 3 picks at a glance!
What Can You Do With a Sewing Machine
What can’t you do with one of the best beginner’s sewing machines available in the market - that’s the question!
Sewing machines for beginners that you can find everywhere these days are all easy to use and handle, lightweight and uncomplicated. You can use them for both simple and lengthy projects, whatever your project at hand needs.
These machines can also be used by someone who has never used a sewing machine before, or by someone who hasn’t even used a needle and thread before in their lives. Whether you are a professional or a completely amatuer, you can certainly use one of these best sewing machines for beginners at home for different purposes.
With a beginner’s sewing machine, you can make repairs to clothes and fabrics that has torn; you can shorten skirts or pants, and make such simple alterations easily at home instead of having to go to a repair shop.
Not just for repair and alteration work, you can use these sewing machines to make your own clothes, or clothes for your children.
Since most of these machines are small and lightweight, you can use them for smaller projects, such as making clothes for your children’s dolls, or putting in details on their Halloween costumes. With these machines, you can make Halloween costumes for your entire family instead of getting store-bought ones.
If you are a creative person, you can use your sewing machine to make your own customized and personalized cushion covers, pillow covers, throws for your couch, wall hangings and tapestries, and even put some personalised touches on your curtains.
Creative people love making quilts for themselves and for their family members, and can also turn their talent into a booming business.
If you are looking forward to starting a home-based business making clothes, quilts or such home decoration pieces, you can certainly do so with the help of them.
Best Sewing Machine for Beginners : Review 2019
1. Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, CS6000i
- 60 Unique built-in stitches: The Brother CS6000i includes 60 built-in sewing stitches, including decorative stitches and 7 styles of auto-size buttonholes
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing and quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Included accessories: The CS6000i includes a hard protective case, wide table, 10 sewing feet, needle set including twin needle, 3 bobbins and more
- LCD Screen: Easily select your stitches with the touch of a button and view your selections on the LCD display
- 25 Year limited warranty: The CS6000i is backed by a 25 year limited warranty with free technical support for the life of the product
Brother happens to be one of the most renowned manufacturers of sewing machines around the world for several decades now, and the CS6000i is one of their most popular models.
This is not exactly a small or a lightweight sewing machine, but definitely a easy one to use for beginners.
The Brother CS6000i is a great sewing machine for beginners that you can use for both sewing and for quilting projects. One unique feature of this sewing machine is the extra wide table that is quite handy when you are working on extensive projects, such as quilts, bed sheets, wall hangings, etc.
This is a feature you won’t get in all the beginner’s sewing machines in the market but in only a few. Besides the extra wide table, this sewing machine from Brother also comes with 60 built-in stitches that you can choose from very easily, as well as 7 different styles of 1-step auto-size buttonhole applicator and automatic needle threader.
You can also adjust the sewing speed in the machine, and take it slow if you are new to sewing.
This sewing machine has a 2” x 0.7” LCD display that helps you to choose the stitch and the speed you want. The built-in free arm of this machine is very helpful if you are working to sew sleeves, pants or skirts.
- Both for sewing and quilting purposes
- Extra wide table
- Built-in free arm
- 60 built-in stitches
- 7 styles of 1-step buttonhole applicator
- Automatic needle threader
- LCD display
- Adjustable sewing speed
2. Singer Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine with 23 Built-in Stitches
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The 23 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches allow you to sew a variety of projects, such as fashions, home décor, quilts, crafts, and more
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration. Amps (0.7). Watts (84). Volts (120). Hz (60)
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE:The Singer 4423 Sewing Machine has a maximum sewing speed of 1, 100 stitches-per-minute, so projects can be sewn quickly. The 60% Stronger Motor provides greater piercing power for thick seams
- HEAVY DUTY METAL FRAME: The Singer 4423 heavy duty sewing machine is a true workhorse. With a heavy-duty metal interior frame, stainless steel bedframe, extra-high sewing speed and powerful motor, this sewing machine can sew through a variety of heavy weight fabrics and provides long lasting stability
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of accessories are included with All-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, seam ripper/lint brush, quilting guide, needles, bobbins, screwdriver, auxiliary spool pin, spool pin felt are all conveniently located and stored in the accessory tray. A soft-sided dust cover is also included in the packaging
Of course, Singer is the most famous name in the world when it comes to the best sewing machines for beginners. The Singer Heavy Duty 4423 has a motor that’s 60% stronger than the motors of other sewing machines, and will give you years of use and stability.
You can use this sewing machine for decades to come without much wear and tear, or the need for much maintenance.
Besides, this machine from Singer comes with 23 built-in stitches, as well as 12 decorative stitches. The stitches are easy to choose from with a turn dial; you can also choose from several sewing speed and length of stitches.
This extremely fast machine has a maximum sewing speed of 1,100 stitches per minute, which means that you will be able to complete your projects faster.
The metal interior body and the stainless steel outside frame makes this machine extremely sturdy; you can use this machine on any type of fabrics, however thick.
You can sew on leather or denim with this machine, as well as finer materials like silk and linen. You get as many as five different foot accessories with this machine, all for different purposes.
- 23 built-in stitches and 12 decorative stitches
- 60% faster and stronger machine
- Will last decades of use
- 1,100 stitches per minute
- Can be used to sew both fine and thick fabrics
- Adjustable stitch length and sewing speed
- Metal interior body
- Stainless steel exterior body
3. Brother Sewing Machine XM2701, Lightweight
- 27 Unique built-in stitches: The XM2701 includes 27 built-in stitches including decorative, blind hem, zigzag, and stretch stitches and an auto-size buttonhole
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Included accessories: The XM2701 comes with 6 sewing feet, 3-piece needle set, twin needle, 4 bobbins, instructional DVD, manual and more
- Versatile free arm: This free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- At your side support: The XM2701 sewing machine comes with Brother At your side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
The XM2701 is another sewing machine from Brother, but one that’s lightweight and smaller. The design on this sewing machine is absolutely stunning, and it has a total of 27 stitches. This small yet efficient sewing machine is travel-friendly; you can take it anywhere with you for emergency repairs and sewing.
The Brother XM2701 may be small, but it is an extremely versatile sewing machine; you can use it to make small repairs around the house, but also for large and extensive projects. Whether you are a beginner or a professional, you can use this machine in your projects.
It has a maximum sewing speed of 800 stitches per minute, which is quite impressive for such a small machine. Besides, this machine comes with a LED-lit work area, a jam resistant drop-in bobbin feature and 63 stitch functions.
With the Brother XM2701, you are getting 6 separate feet accessories, including a sewing feet, a buttonhole feet, a zipper feet, a narrow hammer feet, a zigzag feet and a button sewing feet.
- 800 stitches per minute
- Travel-friendly and lightweight
- Can be used for repairs and extensive sewing projects
- Perfect for newbies and beginners
- Comes with 6 quick-changing feet
- Jam resistant drop-in bobbin feature
- LED-lit work space
- 23 built-in stitches
- 1-step Buttonhole applicator
4. Singer Tradition 2277 Sewing Machine Including 23 Built-in Stitches
- Automatic embroidery needle threader is the biggest timesaver
- Adjustable stitch length and width keeps seams strong and prevents bunching on any fabric type
- Fully automatic 1-step buttonhole provides professional results at the touch of a button
- 97 Stitch Applications
- Heavy-duty metal frame for overall durability and skip-free sewing. 110 volt machine designed for United States and Canadian use only.
This is another small and lightweight sewing machine from Singer that you can use on any kind of fabric - fine or coarse, thick or thin. You can sew on silk and satin with this sewing machine, as well as thicker materials such as denim and leather.
This machine comes with 23 built-in stitches that you can easily choose from with a dial in front of the machine; another dial lets you choose the length of the stitch, which is also adjustable.
Besides, the Singer Tradition 2277 has an unique feature that you won’t find in many other machines: the automatic embroidery needle. This needle will save a lot of your time when you are in the middle of a large and complicated project.
The Singer Tradition 2277 is made from a sturdy and durable metal interior frame that will last decades of regular use. Beside the more common features, you can also find an automatic needle threader, automatic tension, a snap-on pressure foot and a one-step buttonhole applicator with this machine.
- Works on all types of fine and thick fabric
- Comes with 23 built-in stitches
- Comes with an unique automatic embroidery needle
- Sturdy and durable metal interior frame
- Adjustable stitch length and width
- Automatic needle threader
- Snap-on Presser Foot
5. Janome 2212 Sewing Machine Includes Exclusive Bonus Bundle
- Bed type: free arm / flat bed convertible
- Screen: Pre-printed on the front panel
- Maximum speed: 860 spm | Type of buttonhole: 4-step
- Number of built-in stitches: 6 stitches plus buttonhole
- Bonus Package Includes: 10 Bobbins, 2ea Schmetz 90/14 Universal Needles (5pk). *Items may be substituted and are subject to stock on hand. Packaging might vary
This is not just a beginner’s sewing machine from Janome, but a complete bundle that is going to be extremely helpful for you if you are new to sewing.
You are not only getting an easy-to-use sewing machine from Janome in this bundle, but also some of the most important tools and accessories needed in sewing, i.e. a pack of size-14 needles and 10 Janome Bobbins. You won’t have to buy these accessories separately if you get this bundle offer.
The Janome 2212 Sewing machine is an uncomplicated machine that has 12 built-in stitches, and a four-step buttonhole applicator, as well as easy stitch selection with a dial knob.
This machine is extremely easy to use, even for someone who have never used a sewing machine before or who haven’t done much sewing before. The free arm and drop feed that this machine has makes it to use all kinds of fabrics, materials and projects. For an affordable price, this is a great machine for all beginners.
- Good for beginners
- Small and lightweight
- Comes with pack of Size-14 needles and 10 bobbins
- Has 12 built-in stitches
- Four-step buttonhole applicator
- Free arm and drop feed
- Can be used on all types of materials and projects
- Easy to handle and use
6. Singer 7258 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine
- PUSH BUTTON STITCH SELECTION: The SINGER Stylist 7258 sewing machine allows you to select the desired stitch with just a simple push of a button. Optimum settings for length, width and tension are set automatically and are customizable with adjustable stitch length and stitch width. Volts : 120V. Amps : 0.62. Watts-74
- WARRANTY: SINGER Stylist 7258 Sewing Machine has 25 Year Limited Warranty , 60 Hertz
- This sewing machine is warranted for use in the US and Canada at 110 volts only
Although Singer is mostly known for manufacturing heavy duty machines fit for commercial use, this is a small and lightweight sewing machine from the same manufacturer.
The Singer 7258 is absolutely perfect for beginners as well as for professionals, both for small repairs around the house or for large, extensive projects. This is a bundle pack that comes with not only the machine, but some important accessories you are going to need.
The Singer 7258 has a total of 100 built-in stitches inside this machine, of which 76 are decorative stitches that you can use in your projects. With this sewing machine, you can make your own clothes, or make cushion covers, pillowcases, wall hangings and other decorative pieces for your home.
Choosing any one from these 100 stitches is easy, with just the push of a button. There is a small LCD screen on the machine where you can see your choice of stitch type and length.
With this machine, you can also choose the length, width and tension of your stitch; besides, you get a number of feet accessories and automatic needle threader feature with this machine.
- Lightweight and travel-friendly
- Sturdy built
- Comes with 100 stitches, including 76 decorative stitches
- Adjustable stitch length, width and tension
- Comes with 7+ feet accessories
- Easy to choose stitch type with push button
- Automatic Needle Threader
7. Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW Electric Sewing MAchine
- 50 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW features 50 built-in stitches including 5 auto-size buttonholes
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The CS5055PRW comes with 7 sewing feet, 3-piece needle set, twin needle, instruction manual and more
- LCD SCREEN: Simply select your stitches with the push of a button and view your selection on the LCD display
- AT YOUR SIDE SUPPORT: The CS5055PRW sewing machine comes with Brother at your side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
The Project Runway sewing machine may look small, but this is a machine most professionals are quite comfortable with using.
The lightweight and the small structure makes this sewing machine absolutely perfect for carrying around; it is travel friendly, and you can carry it around with you everywhere, which is important if you work with clothes. The stitches that this machine produces are impressive and couture-level, and are consistent in every way.
This miniature sewing machine has a total of 50 stitches built into it, including a few number of decorative, quilting and heirloom stitches. You may not know by looking at the size of this machine, but you can also use it to make large professional-grade quilts.
This machine is fast enough and will give you 850 stitches per minute, which is quite impressive compared to its size. Besides, with the Brother Project Runway, you get 6 specialty feet for different purposes.
Some other features of this sewing machine includes a free arm for working on sleeves and pants, 5 one-step buttonhole applicators, automatic needle threader and automatic bobbin threading.
- Lightweight and travel-friendly
- Perfect for beginners and professionals
- Both for amateurs and experts
- 850 stitches per minute
- 50 built-in stitches
- Comes with 6 specialty feet
- 5 one-step buttonhole applicator
- Free arm for working on sleeves and pants
- Automatic needle and bobbin threader
Best Sewing Machine for Beginners: Things to Consider
If you are a beginner and this is the first time you are buying a sewing machine, it is always better to choose something uncomplicated and easy. For the best sewing machine for beginners in the market, here are some things you should consider.
1. Size and Weight
If you are buying a sewing machine for occasional personal use and not for commercial reasons, there’s no need to buy something that’s large and heavy.
Some of the most renowned manufacturers of sewing machines now have smaller versions of their models that are perfect for beginners. These sewing machines are small in size but extremely efficient; they come with all the features of a commercial-grade heavy-duty sewing machine for quilting.
These small, user-friendly sewing machines are also lightweight, which means, you can carry them around with you in your bag. They are perfect for small repair jobs as well as large projects. With such a small machine to handle and manage, you can concentrate fully on your project at hand and not worry about your machine.
It is always advisable that you buy your sewing machines from brands you are familiar with. Singer and Brother has been the world’s leading manufacturers of sewing machines not for years, but for decades.
Their machines are efficient and built sturdily, and you can use the same machine for generations without any need for professional maintenance or repair.
Janome happens to be another well-known manufacturer of sewing machines, not much further down the line from Singer and Brother.
3. Number of Built-in Stitches
Gone are the days when sewing enthusiasts had to learn the different kind of stitch by heart; these days, all electronic sewing machines come with built-in stitches that you can automatically make on your fabric.
While the more expensive and commercial-grade sewing machines can have hundreds of stitches built into its memory, these simpler sewing machines for beginners have dozens.
The more stitches a sewing machine have, the more varied you can make your designs and embroideries. For example, the Brother CS6000i has 60 built-in stitches whereas the Janome 2212 only has 12 built-in stitches.
The Singer 7258, on the other hand, has 100 built-in stitches, of which 76 are decorative stitches for embroideries and quilts.
4. Sewing Speed
Although most of these machines are small, they are all extremely fast in sewing. For example, the Brother Project Runway gives you 850 stitches per minute and the Brother XM2701 gives you 800 stitches per minute.
The sewing machines from Singer, on the other hand, are a little faster, as the Singer Heavy Duty 4423 can give up to 1,100 stitches per minute. The more stitches a machine can give per minute, the quicker you will be able to finish your projects.
Therefore, the sewing machines with the highest sewing speed are the most time efficient ones that you need for your projects.
5. Other Features
Some of the other features can be quite important in a sewing machine, i.e. an automatic needle threader, separate foot accessories, bobbin threader, LED workspace light, free arm, extra-wide workspace, etc.
These are the added features that make your model the best sewing machine in the market. The more features a machine has, the better and the more helpful it is for you.
These are some of the features that you should look for in a sewing machine. However, there’s one more thing that’s important: price. All these features should come in a model from a reputed brand that falls under your budget.
The right sewing machine can do wonders for your skill, so it’s never a bad decision to invest in a good sewing machine for yourself.
How To Take Care Of a Sewing Machine
Taking care of your sewing machine isn’t hard work. You don’t need any kind of technical knowledge for it; rather, what you need is regular cleaning and maintenance.
Here are a few ways that you can take care of your sewing machine so that it can give you years of use.
- Always read the manual. This is something many of us forget to or ignore doing, but reading the manual and/or the instruction guide is very important. The manual doesn’t only contain tips on how to use your machine, but also on how to clean and maintain it.
You will get all the maintenance information you need from the manual, which is why you should always read it before using the machine for the first time.
- Make sure you are using the machine for the right project. Not all sewing machines are right for all kinds of fabrics or materials. If you are using your machine to sew on a material it can’t handle, you can completely destroy your sewing machine.
This is where your instruction guide will come in handy again. The instruction guide or manual will include the names of all the fabrics and materials that your machine can handle. You should only use the materials mentioned in the manual and not something that can damage it.
For example, if you try to sew denim or leather in a sewing machine that is not sturdy enough to handle these thicker materials, you can seriously damage your machine.
- Always use good quality thread. If you use old, cheap thread in your machine, a lot of lint will build up inside the machine, much more than is normal. Over time, this can hinder and damage the machines and should be avoided.
You can easily avoid this problem by always updating your thread collection and using new thread. If you haven’t used a roll of thread for a long time and it looks old, it is better to throw it out and buy some more.
- Keep your sewing machine under a dust cover. If you keep your sewing machine open and uncovered, dust particles can accumulate on it. The dust can also get inside and create a nasty lint build-up, much more complicated than with just accumulated thread. This is why you should always keep your sewing machine under a dust cover, a hard case or at least, covered by a piece of cloth.
- You need to regularly dust your sewing machine. Whether you are regularly using it or not, your sewing machine needs to be dusted with a small cosmetic brush every now and then.
This includes both outside and inside the machine, especially in the areas where dust could get into. If you are using your sewing machine regularly for long hours, it is important that you give it a quick brush every day before sitting down for work.
- Apply sewing machine oil regularly. This is a special kind of oil made only for sewing machine motors, that you can find in local craft shops or buy from the internet.
The internal motors of your sewing machine needs to be oiled regularly, as per the instructions from your machine. Before applying the sewing machine oil, it is very important that you check with the manual/instruction guide that comes with the machine.
Not all sewing machines need to be oiled. If your sewing machine doesn’t need to be oiled, applying oil to the motors can end up damaging it.
This information will be available to you in the manual, so it is important that you check all the facts. Besides, you’ll also need to read the manual to know how to and where to apply the oil.
- Get an Annual Maintenance. If you use your machine fairly regularly, it might be a good idea to get the machine checked by a professional at least once a year.
There might not be any kind of problem with your sewing machine, but a professional will be able to give it a thorough clean and check-up so that you can continue to use it for many years to come.
- Always change your needles frequently. It is very important that you change your needles after working on a project for sometime, because a dull needle may end up causing the machine a lot of problems.
When the needles become dull after use, we may not notice it, but the motor has to put a lot of pressure on it to make the stitches, and this will wear the motor out. A better way to stay clear of this problem is to keep on changing your dull needles for some sharper ones, so that your machine doesn’t damage easy.
- Don’t ignore strange, unexpected noises. If you hear any kind of noises while using your sewing machine, don’t ignore and go sewing. Stop what you were doing, take out the fabric you were using and investigate.
You can even take out some parts of the sewing machine to see what’s making all the noises. It could be that the needle has come loose, or maybe the lint build-up inside has hampered the motor. If you fix these small issues instead of ignoring them, you may be saving your sewing machine from future troubles.
Regular dusting, cleaning and annual maintenance - that’s what you need to take care of your sewing machine.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs):
Q. Why won’t my machine sew?
A. If your machine isn’t sewing, or if it suddenly stops sewing, there might be a problem with the electric power line. Be sure to check your plug cord and try again.
Q. Why does my machine run heavily, or why does it struggle to run?
A. If it is taking your sewing machine a lot of pressure to run, it could be because there has been some dirt or lint build-up inside it. The motor could also be jammed and might need oiling. If this is happening to your machine, you need to stop working, remove your fabric from the machine, and open it up.
Apply some sewing machine oil to your motor and run a piece of fabric to remove the excess residue, and then use a cosmetic brush to clean off the dirt and lint residue inside. This will clear the motor and your machine can start working again.
Q. Why does my needle keep breaking?
A. Needles may keep breaking if you are using the incorrect sized needles for your projects. Another reason could be that you are using a thicker material compared to the needle you are using, and might need to use a bigger, stronger needle.
Q. Can I use ordinary oil in my sewing machine?
A. For sewing machines, you need to only use special sewing machine oil for the motor. Any other kind of oil can harm your motor or even get into your clothes. Sewing machine oil, on the other hand, does not leave a mark on your clothes or fabric, and will get our motor moving smoothly.
Q. Why is my machine skipping stitches?
A. If your sewing machine is skipping stitches, it could either mean that your needle has issues. Your needle may have become dull or damaged. Replacing your needles could solve the problem.
Having a sewing machine can help you with a lot of small repairs and sewing projects around the house, which otherwise you would have to give to a tailor instead.
Even if you are not a professional or an experienced sewing machine user, these best sewing machines for beginners are extremely easy to use.
You can take up any extensive projects for decorating your home with these machines, or even make your own clothes, or make small repairs to your clothes without asking for anyone’s help.