Best Printer for Vinyl Stickers and Labels: Reviews in 2020
Stickers are one of the most fun things you can use to decorate books, notebooks, laptops, freezers, and much more – it’s all worth it. They’re easy to use and add a unique style to your objects.
But buying stickers is not always fun. Especially when you want something custom and personalized, then you’ll want to find a way to make them yourself.
That’s when the best printer for vinyl stickers enters into the equation. It gives you the chance to print all your favorite designs and graphics on-demand.
Whether it is your favorite anime, TV show, something related to your job, messages, identification text, or even just your name – a sticker maker will create all that.
Here, we’re going to explain everything they offer and give you a few products idea you may want to consider. If you’re thinking about getting one of these, then you may want to check this article further.
Need a short-list? Check these 3 printers!
Top 7 Best Printer Vinyl Stickers
We had to pick only the best, so we chose 7 of the highest-quality sticker makers out there. Then, we analyzed them taking their features, quirks, and advantages into account. Here’s what we found about each:
1. Xyron Create-a-Sticker Sticker Maker
- Ready when you are – The non-electric create-a-sticker has no warm-up time. Effortlessly apply edge-to-edge adhesive with only a few turns of the knob and very little clean up
- Easy to use – Create stickers in a snap. Place an item up 5" wide in the create-a-sticker, turn the knob, and then tear and peel sticker. It's that easy
- No-mess adhesive – No heat, electricity, or messy glue required. Apply acid-free, non-toxic adhesive for sleek, professional results
- Easy drop-in refills – Comes pre-loaded with 10 feet of non-toxic, acid-free, permanent adhesive. When you are ready to replace, simply drop in a new refill (sold separately)
- Endless creativity – Great for arts and crafts, create-a-sticker can help you add adhesive to paper, photos, labels, die cuts, and other embellishments
The first option in the list is the Xyron Create-a-Sticker machine. It is one of the simplest and smallest options, but also one of the easiest to use.
You’ll notice that getting a sticker from this machine is a piece of cake. It demands no warm-up time or clean-up. You just need to turn the knob a few times, and it will apply an edge-to-edge adhesive that will make it super practical to use.
The adhesive is from another world in terms of convenience. You won’t need any glue, electricity, or even heat to make it work. Just pick acid-free and non-toxic adhesive, and the sticker will set on almost any surface without problems.
And sure enough, the refilling process doesn’t take much time or effort. It comes with a pre-loaded adhesive 10-feet refill, which you can also buy a replacement for.
The real advantage comes from the fantastic graphics & designs you can achieve. Whatever you find more enticing to apply on the sticker, then this maker will let you do it effortlessly.
You can add adhesive to almost anything, including die cuts, paper, labels, photos, and much more. Just make sure it is 5-inches wide, and there won’t be a problem to worry about.
The level of versatility and the quality results it offers will make it one of the best for sure.
- Super simple operation with knob mechanism
- Works with all kinds of papers and decorations
- Applies edge-to-edge adhesive on almost any item
- Highly effective non-electric process for fewer messes
- Easy adhesive replacement for top-notch convenience
2. DYMO LabelWriter 450 Label Printer
- ELIMINATE THE WASTE AND HASSLE OF SHEET LABELS: The LabelWriter? 450 Prints precise quantities without difficulty
- NEVER BUY INK AGAIN: Direct Thermal Printing technology eliminates the cost of ink and toner.Conserve power with new "sleep mode"
- SPEEDY LABELING: Use the Included DYMO Software to quickly create and Print address, file folder, and barcode labels? up to 51 labels per minute
- EASILY CUSTOMIZE AND Print LABELS: Create labels directly from text in MicroSoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Google Contacts
- USE WITH AUTHENTIC DYMO LABELS: For Best Performance, use DYMO LabelWriter: Labels in a variety of sizes; Not compatible with Dymo Stamps
While some vinyl sticker machines are ideal for decorative items, the LabelWriter 450 focuses on labels mostly.
But that doesn’t mean it is a wrong choice for those who want extra customization in their stickers. In fact, it offers almost the same kind of versatility without damaging results.
It starts with Direct Thermal printing technology. You won’t have to buy ink or toner, which ensures a super-fast but also practical experience when creating your labels.
You can print almost all kinds of stuff on paper, including addresses, numbers, barcodes, and more. And it creates up to 51 labels in one minute, which ensures fantastic speed.
While it doesn’t work with color, it still manages to be ultra-useful. You can customize the labels using Word, Excel, Outlook, or Google Contacts using text. That adds up to a more convenient product in its entirety.
And finally, you just need to connect it to your Windows or iOS computer, and it will work almost immediately. Install the driver, and it will be ready to start creating your favorite labels in no time.
When it comes to practicality and top-notch results, few sticker makers are as reliable, easy-to-use, or practical as this one. Even if it doesn’t make colored labels, you can still enjoy fantastic results, and that’s something not to dismiss.
- Straightforward operation via software
- Unique Direct Thermal technology for practicality
- The fantastic label-making speed at 51 labels per minute
- Works well with text editors & other apps via Windows or iOS
- Prints all kinds of data including numbers, text, barcodes, and more
3. Xyron Create-a-Sticker Mini Sticker Maker
- Lightweight, portable machine to apply edge-to-edge adhesive to items up to 2.5 inches wide and 1/16 inch thick
- Small, compact design that takes up less space and uses the same refills as the older models 2.5 inch Create-A-Sticker and XRN250
- Includes 10 feet of permanent adhesive; Refill cartridges available with either acid-free permanent or repositionable adhesive
- Easy to use for the whole family. Simply insert item, turn knob, tear, peel and stick
- Measures 5.5 x 5.5 x 6.5 inches; 1-year limited warranty
Let’s now come back to the Xyron Create-a-Sticker – but this time with its smaller brother, the Mini Sticker Maker.
It is a super lightweight and portable machine that will help you create fantastic stickers out of any kind of material. You can get 2.5-inches wide, and 1/16-inches thick decorative papers & other objects to become stickers without effort.
The operation consists of inserting the item to convert into a sticker, turn the knob on the machine, and that’s it. It will create a super-sticky product that you only need to peel and stick anywhere you want.
The advantage is that you won’t need any type of electricity, heat, or even batteries to make it work. It relies heavily on 10-feet adhesive refills that you can replace almost at any time. The refilling process is so easy that even a non-technical beginner can make it happen in no time.
For those who want to create mini stickers for scrapbooks, drawers, pencils, or just whatever – this excellent sticker maker will come like a gem.
And with the chance to bring everywhere with such a small & light design, it becomes an even better machine overall. There’s almost no limit to what you can make with this top-notch sticker maker.
- Effortless operation with simple design
- Creates small stickers with almost any material
- Uses 10-feet adhesive refills that are easy to replace
- Super light & small design for extra portability
- Uses no heat, electricity or batteries for convenience
4. Phomemo M02 Portable Pocket Printer Mini
- Portable Pocket Printer- Bluetooth 4.0 connection. Connected to the Phomemo APP through Bluetooth, without wire. System: for android 4.0, for IOS8.0 or above.
- Portable Size and Fashion Design- simple stylish shape, mini size (3.3* 3.2* 1.6 inch), compact size slips neatly into your pocket., Built-in 1000mAh battery that lets you take it anywhere, full charge have 1 week standby time.
- Phomemo Pocket Printer Multifunctional- M02 can print text and photos printed instantly, phomemo app offers variety of fonts, filter effects and themes,makes your black and white photo HD. Phomemo APP continually update lots of templates and Graphic for every 2 weeks.
- Portable Mini Printer- keep track of your life, work and study anytime, anywhere, fast printing，efficient learning, entertaining, feel free to share your special moments.
- Customer First, Services Foremost- technical Support via Email within 12 hours in time,we promise to give you a good solution. In order to extend the life of the battery of the printer, when the printer's indicator light is red, please charge it immediately. If you will not use the printer after a long time, please remember to charge it regularly.
For those who want to take creativity to another level while creating stickers, the Phomemo M02 is probably their best option.
It creates all kinds of designs using filter effects, themes, fonts, and much more. While it works only with photos and images and in black & white, it still manages to deliver exceptional editing options for any of your stickers.
You will have the chance to stick your favorite photos anywhere you want. From notebooks to laptops, the freezer, or just anywhere else – this machine lets you do that without issues.
It does everything in seconds, as it works with a one-click printing mechanism that saves time & effort. And it all comes down to a Bluetooth 4.0 connection system through the Phomemo APP on smartphones. You just need to send the image, add the desired effects, and then print.
On top of all that, it is still light and tiny. You can easily bring it wherever you go and achieve excellent convenience. And with the 1,000 mAh battery, it can deliver up to 24 hours of operation so you can print stickers all day long.
It doesn’t matter what photo or graphic you want to make into a black & white vinyl sticker, and for whatever reason, this is the machine to go for.
- Works through the Phomemo app on Android or iOS phones
- Up to 24 hours of constant operation with 1,000 mAh battery
- Creates unique black & white stickers from photos
- Excellent thermal-direct process for fast stick creation
- Editing app allows the addition of effects, fonts, and more
5. Photobee Portable Sticker Photo Printer
- High-resolution: PhotoBee offers 310DPI resolution, which is the best quality among current mobile photo printers.
- Fastest printing speed: PhotoBee printer only takes 45seconds to print a photo, which is the fastest speed among current mobile photo printers.
- Long lasting color: PhotoBee photo has a high-technique coating after printing. It prevents color fading and fingerprints, and also it's waterproof.
- It’s mobile!: You can take PhotoBee Photo printer to desired places such as parties, trips, picnics and even class rooms to print photos from your phone.
- Sticker photo: PhotoBee uses the kind of photo paper include sticker. Peel off the backing and your photos become instant stickers (size of 2.3in x 3.5in). You can easily stick PhotoBee photos to desired places and scrapbooks.
Portability is what makes the Photobee Sticker Photo Printer such a great choice. But it also comes down to ease of use, speed, and overall convenience.
You’ll know it is totally worth having with its 310-DPI resolution for photos of up to 2.5-inches tall and 3.5-inches wide.
But the photos won’t only look amazing, they will also boast a coating that keeps them protected against sun rays, fingerprints, fading, and even moisture. You can stick the photo stickers anywhere you want without problems.
Despite all that, every sticker goes out in just 45 seconds. So you can make dozens of photos per hour always according to your needs. And you just need a smartphone to make it work via Bluetooth.
To make it work, you will need PhotoBee photo paper. It is a sticky & reliable material that will make the most amazing stickers. And to replace them, you just need to open the cover, get the old photo paper cartridge out, and install the new one. It is simple to use, convenient, and time-saving.
It also works via battery power. You can make it last several hours effortlessly. And if you need to charge it, you just need a USB cable, and that’s it. It offers simplicity to the max.
Pair up everything this printer offers, and you’ll get one of the most practical and easy-to-use machines in the market.
- Prints high-resolution photos of up to 310 DPI for extra quality
- Works with a long-lasting, resilient, and waterproof photo paper
- Powers up with battery and charges through USB
- Connects directly to smartphones through Bluetooth
- Creates high-quality photo stickers in just 45 seconds
6. Brother QL-800 High-Speed Professional Label Printer
- Print amazing black/red labels using DK-2251
- Create cost-effective paper labels for packages, envelopes, file folders, Name badges, postage* and more.
- Super-fast, printing up to 93 standard address labels per minute with black text at 300dpi
- Prints Brother DK pre-sized, easy-peel labels and continuous-length paper and film tapes. Auto cutter enables banners and signs up to 3 feet Long
- Capable of printing postage for packages and envelopes, right from your desk
Label printers are nothing short of useful, and the Brother QL-800 is the perfect example of that.
You can create 93 black-text labels at 300 DPI of quality with this printer. It produces high-quality of up to two colors, so you can enjoy black & red labels depending on your needs.
It prints text, graphics, bars, and much more. Whatever you want to print in black or red, then this is the label printer to go for.
The quality of the paper is also fantastic, which ensures you can place it on almost any surface for extra durability. It resists moisture, impacts, scratches, and more. You can expect these stickers to last.
To make it work, you just need to connect it to your computer. Then, you can customize the labels according to your needs, or choose the pre-set labels from the Brother iPrint & Label App.
It works well with Mac OS and Windows, so you won’t have any limit to where you can create your labels. And sure enough, you can upload graphics from Outlook, Excel, Word, and other similar apps.
The thermal printing that uses no ink or toners, the compatibility with most computers, and the excellent dual-color printing make the Brother QL-800 one of the best sticker makers out there.
- Superb thermal-direct system for a practical printing process
- The high-quality paper prevents scratches & moisture issues
- Produces labels with black & white colors at 300 DPI
- Easy-to-use with its Windows & Mac OS compatibility
- Allows custom designs with PC applications
7. DYMO LabelWriter 450 Turbo Label Printer
- TURBO LABELING AND PRINTING: Create and print up to 71 4 line address, shipping, file folder and barcode labels, name badges, and more per minute
- ELIMINATE THE WASTE AND HASSLE OF SHEET LABELS: The DYMO Label Writer 450 Turbo prints precise quantities without difficulty
- NEVER BUY INK AGAIN: Direct Thermal printing technology eliminates the cost of ink and toner
- EASILY CUSTOMIZE AND PRINT LABELS: Create labels directly from text in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Google Contacts
- USE WITH AUTHENTIC DYMO LABELS: For best performance, use DYMO Label Writer Labels in a variety of sizes
If the LabelWriter 450 looked like an excellent choice for you – then the Turbo version will look even better.
You can print all kinds of things in this machine, going from addresses to numbers to barcodes, badges, and even graphics in black color. It allows easy classification of almost any kind of item, mainly because the paper sticks to nearly anything.
Another excellent feature is the precise printing capacity. You can create specific quantities in just minutes, so you can enjoy exceptional results without wasting any time or effort.
And with the Direct Thermal system, you won’t have to worry about toner or ink. It will work almost consistently while reducing the need to replace cartridges, saving you more time and effort than regular printers.
The best of all is that you can customize all your labels using Word, Excel, Outlook, or Google Contacts. Use text or compatible graphics, and the printer will hand them to you without problems.
As long as you use the Dymo Label Writer Labels, you won’t have any problem creating unique & good-looking labels. Just replace the rolls once they empty out, and you can keep creating labels effortlessly.
Pair this with the rest of the fantastic features from the Dymo LabelWriter 450 Turbo, and you will have nothing to complain about.
- High-quality label printing from text & graphics
- Compatible with Word, Excel, Outlook and Google Contacts
- Produces super-fast labels at up to 71 labels per minute
- The thermal-direct process prevents the use of ink & toner
- Effortless & time-saving operation for excellent results
Buying a Vinyl Sticker Printer: Checklists!
While you may already have an idea of what to pick, it may not be enough. That’s why we’re explaining a few critical factors to consider before you make a final choice. Here’s what we mean:
Type of Stickers
Stickers may look like they’re all the same – but they’re not.
Most sticker machines offer widely different processes and types of stickers you can use. Some of them are paper labels, ideal for giving name to stuff and printing numbers, barcodes, and so on.
Others do not make the stickers themselves. Instead, they work with papers and similar decorative items, applying the adhesive on one side of the piece. This way, you can make practically anything a decorative sticker.
And a few others work more like printers. They have the pre-set paper rolls inside with the sticky part. The machine will print an image or photo over the paper, and then you can stick it anywhere you want.
They last differently, provide varied results, and boast unique looks each. You’ll have to pick precisely what you need here, over anything else.
As not all sticker makers work with the same papers or materials, then the quality will differ with each. So, you’ll have to know what you’re getting in terms of image quality, paper quality, and overall durability.
Some machines offer excellent image quality when printed. Others will not have an effect on image quality, as you will only add the adhesive to the piece.
We recommend image qualities that offer at least 300 DPI. This will be enough to make a 2.5-inches sticker that looks amazing.
Apart from that, you’ll have to consider the color. Most machines use either black & white or highly colored designs. You can go for whatever you prefer, but we heavily recommend those with more colors for extra graphic quality.
And lastly, don’t ignore vinyl paper quality. Some of these may offer unique coatings or builds that can stand sun rays, moisture, scratches, and more. These will be the best you can get.
All in all, you will have to choose the sticker quality that resonates with your demands. If you can get a sticker maker that tells you all the properties of the vinyl, then that’s something helpful to consider.
The thickness of the Paper
Along with the quality of the paper comes its thickness. This also tells a lot about the quality of the vinyl, but it goes better with the proportions and compatibility than overall quality.
There’s really not much to consider here than the thickness of the paper that comes out the machine, or the thickness that you can use.
We usually recommend vinyl at about 1/10 or 1/16 inches thick. But you will need to pick following the machine specifications.
Just make sure you get the right sticker thickness depending on what you’re looking for and how the machine works, that should be enough.
Width & Length Capacity
When you get a vinyl sticker machine, one of the first things you’ll have to consider is the overall size capacity. It will give you the chance to make stickers exactly of the capacity it delivers.
For example, normal-sized machines offer widths of about 5-inches and lengths of 7-inches or close to that. But you may also find sticker makers that only work with 2.5-inches stickers in width and 5-inches in length.
It all depends on your needs and demands. If the sticker maker doesn’t match your preferable sticker size, then it is always better to get something better that does.
There’s no sense in getting a vinyl machine if you can’t use it well. Especially if you aren’t well-versed into these devices, then you’ll want something that demands little effort to operate.
That’s why we always advise going for straightforward turning mechanisms. Those mechanisms that don’t use electricity, heat, or batteries but instead rely on pressure – those are the best. You just need to turn a knob, and the machine will pass the vinyl through the printer to achieve the adhesiveness.
But you can also go for thermal-oriented models. These won’t need much energy to work either and will create amazing stickers. They will print the design or graphic on the surface and will create the sticky side with no effort.
Lastly, you will find electric models. These often deliver the best graphics but lack the paper quality and ease of use. Most of these electric models rely on batteries or wires and using them usually requires getting into a computer to smartphone – which can be a little problematic.
But overall, it all comes to your preferences. Some people love using these machines from their phones or PCs, while others prefer totally manual models. As long as it matches your needs, then that’s the vinyl sticker printer to go for.
How to Use a Vinyl Sticker Printer?
So, you went through all the different sticker maker reviews and learned some more about them through our buying guide. Now, it is time you learn how to use them.
Here’s a brief but helpful step-by-step guide to follow:
Choose Graphics & Colors
First of all, make sure you have the design or text print-ready. For that, you’ll have to come up with something that matches your needs. If it is a label, then get something with the data and text that you need, and if it is something decorative, then make sure it is colorful and cute enough.
Of course, it is essential to choose the right graphics and colors according to the machine’s capacities too. For example, some printers only work with black and white. Others may offer the chance to add additional colors like red, blue, yellow, or even green.
As for graphics, you’ll have to make something through your computer, smartphone, or directly through the machine. In case the printer you have doesn’t have that option, then you can always create an even more personalized sticker using other methods.
The focus is to make something that matches your demands.
Fill the Machine
Now that you have the text or graphics ready, it is time to fill the machine with the sticker material. This can be an entire vinyl roll or could be the adhesive alone. It all depends on the type of printer you get.
Just make sure it has the right filling, so you can create the stickers or labels accordingly. Otherwise, you may run out of it, or the machine will not work.
For that, make sure it fits the size and thickness. Some machines work with wide, large but thin vinyl rolls, while others work with the thickest and smallest ones.
Make sure you follow exactly what the manufacturer recommends. You will probably need to search for the ideal paper cartridge or roll for this to go neatly.
This also happens if you’re using a sticker maker with ink supplies. You’ll have to check whether the colors are running low or not, and then make changes accordingly.
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to do this. It generally consists of lifting a lid or cover, getting the old roll/container/ink out if there was any, and placing the new one inside. This will get the sticker maker ready to create whatever you want.
Place the Sticker Inside (Optional)
In case you have a sticker machine that only adds the adhesive layer, then you’ll need to place the piece to modify inside the maker.
Remember to make sure that it fits your width & length needs. For example, if the machine works with 3.5-inches in width and 4-inches in length pieces, then the sticker you’re placing inside needs to match those measurements. This means that the paper needs to be equal or preferably smaller than that.
Also, remember to place the soon-to-be sticker the right way. If you put it upside down, then the adhesiveness will be applied on the wrong side. And you probably don’t want that. So be careful when doing so.
If your machine prints the stickers or labels directly, then there’s no need to place anything inside the machine.
Print the Sticker
At this point, you’ve already set the machine ready to print, and you’ve placed the sticker paper or item inside (if needed). What’s left is printing/processing the sticker according to your needs.
For the best results, and to prevent any mess, you should only print one as a test before making the machine print more. This will give you an idea of what you’re getting.
If the result doesn’t look or feel as you expected, then you can always modify the graphics/texts and re-print accordingly.
Remember, some stickers or labels will come out directly, others you will need to cut out of the machine using the built-in blade. We heavily recommend being cautious not to damage the sticker while it comes out.
Test the Sticker
Whether you had a machine that only printed the sticky side or one that printed the entire sticker with graphics and everything – it is essential to try sticking it.
This will help you find whether the machine is working correctly or not. Luckily, the process is simple and only consists of getting the sticky side protector out and then applying the sticker on your desired surface.
If you followed the previous steps correctly, then it should stick without problems. By now, you’re ready to keep going with your life – you’ve successfully printed a sticker out of a machine.
Inkjet or Laser Printer for Stickers: Which One Should I Get?
So you’ve checked what all these printers offer, but you’re still unsure of which one to pick. Well, don’t worry. This section comparing inkjet & laser printers will give you a better idea.
In case of Size
When it comes to size, you’ll find that inkjet printers tend to be small and easy to install. You can place one of these inside any office, bedroom, or even desks alongside computers, and it won’t be an issue.
In contrast, laser printers tend to be way larger and heavier. They won’t be super hefty or uncomfortable to install, but won’t offer as much convenience as an inkjet model.
When it comes to quality, you’ll have to consider the liveliness, color contrast, details, and sharpness. Here, inkjet is the best choice as it handles the highest-quality images & documents without problems, blending colors and providing fantastic sharpness.
Laser printers are not bad, though. But they’re mostly for high-volume pieces that don’t need much detail. You will find laser printers ideal for text-rich pieces like labels, identification stickers, and logos. Images won’t look as well on laser printers as they will on inkjet models.
Here, the clear winner is the laser printer. As a high-volume machine, it relies heavily on speed. So you’re likely to find models that can print up to 50 or more stickers per minute. Sadly, most laser printers need some warm-up time, which can be a little time-consuming.
An inkjet printer doesn’t offer such a printing capacity. It can produce high-quality stickers, but It won’t print more than 3 or 4 per minute. Apart from that, inkjet printers don’t need any warm-up to start working.
Ease of Use
Both inkjet and laser printers are almost identical when it comes to ease of use. You won’t find many differences.
The only advantage is that laser printers can hold several hundreds of sheets in their docks, while inkjet printers may not contain more than 50 or so.
This happens because laser printers rely on speed and quantity, while inkjets rely on quality.
The paper size of the paper that each printer can also match matters. And here, you’ll see that inkjet printers can handle different types of sizes as well as paper types.
In contrast, laser printers only handle a specific size of paper and can’t handle all kinds.
Now, when it comes to refilling, it all comes down to the maintenance of the printer. Here, inkjets are way easier to refill, and their cartridges are super affordable. This makes them cheaper in the short run.
Laser printers, on the other hand, use toner, which is more affordable in the long run. You can print thousands of stickers with a laser model, so they end up being more affordable even though the toner replacement is more expensive. But they are a little hard to replace.
Finally, in terms of overall costs, it all depends on your needs. Inkjets have a cheaper initial cost, and their cartridges are also inexpensive. This makes them ideal for those who need to print a few hundred pages monthly or yearly, which inkjets are perfect for.
But for those who need to print thousands of stickers, then laser printers are the best ideal. This happens because they have a more expensive initial cost and somewhat pricier toner cartridges. But because they can handle thousands of stickers per toner, they end up being more affordable in the long run.
So, what should you pick here? Well, it all comes down to your needs and desires. As you see, they have their advantages and disadvantages over each other, so it all comes down to what you’re expecting to get.
If you appreciate quality stickers and a low upfront cost, then go for inkjets. But if you prefer speed and durability, then go for laser printers.
Consider each one of the previous factors, and you’ll end up with the right type of sticker printer.
Now that you’ve reached the end of the article, it means you’re totally decided on getting one of these sticker makers.
And sure enough, it may also mean you’re somewhat confused about which one to pick.
Well, don’t worry. You just need to look for the model that best matches your demands, that fits with your requirements, and doesn’t go over your budget.
The best printer for vinyl stickers is the one that fits like a gem in your finger. As long as you get the printer that goes better with what you’re looking for, you’ll have the chance to create amazing stickers like never before.
This guide has everything you need, so use it and get the best sticker printer out there!