Best Printer for Heat Transfers Reviews 2020
If you have a small business making T-shirts, caps or bags, coasters or notebooks, or anything else that requires you to regularly use a heat transfer machine, you need the assistance of a good printer for your crafts.
When it is about running a business and giving your clients the best products, you need to make sure all your materials, tools and machinery also happen to be the best; it is especially important that you get the best printer for heat transfer that is available in the market.
For most heat printing businesses, you need two kinds of machines: a good heat transfer machine and a great printer. Just any regular printer won’t do at all, because you need the best printer there is to give your clients the best products they deserve.
It is simply not possible to print good quality pictures and designs that you can transfer to your materials using your regular printers, i.e. the kinds used for printing on paper. You need a machine that’s absolutely fantastic and of a particular quality for your heat printing business, and there are special printers for these kinds of tasks.
Top 10 Best Printer for Heat Transfer Reviews
Not just any printer is going to do it when you have a heat printing business, or when you love printing on fabric and other materials for yourself.
You need a printer that will give you high-resolution, crystal clear prints that are absolutely faultless, and that you can easily transfer on to your T-shirts, canvas bags, caps and notebooks. For this, you can choose between three types of printers, i.e.
- Inkjet Printers,
- Laser Printers and
- Dye-sublimation Printers.
Inkjet printers are the best ones for these kinds of projects; they are affordable, versatile, and you can find a lot of models at different prices in the market. Besides, with inkjet printers, you can also choose from an assortment of colors, inks and specialty papers to use.
On the other hand, laser printers are the ones that are mostly used for office work and printing documents. Although they are not exactly the right kind of printers for heat printing, if you already have a laser printer at home, you can use it for these kinds of printing, to some extent.
Laser printers are most suitable for printing documents, with black ink on regular white paper; this type of printer can also be used to print colorful pictures, logos and designs on specialty papers, although the end result wouldn’t be as stunning or as perfect.
Dye-sublimation printers, too, are a special kind of printer that is used to print not on paper, but directly on the material themselves. With a heat transfer machine, the logo, design or picture that you print on a piece of paper is transferred to the material.
A dye-sublimation printer, alternatively, prints on the final material itself, i.e. T-shirt, napkins, fabric, caps, canvas bags, plastic, hardboard and cardboard, greeting card or a piece of ordinary paper.
Here are some of the best and most common printers that you can use for your heat printing projects, that can give you the best results possible.
1. Workforce WF-7210 Wireless Inkjet Printer
The Workforce WF-7210 is a notable Inkjet printer from Epson, and the brand recommends using Genuine Epson inks with this particular printer. You can get the best printing quality from this printer for your heat printing projects, more so when you use Epson ink.
On the other hand, using ink that is not recommended by the brand or ink that is not compatible with the Workforce WF-7210 can drastically damage the machine and reduce its work performance.
This machine from Epson gives you far superior printing quality than any laser printers, even the laser printers from the same manufacturer. The Workforce WF-7210 is powered by Precision Core, which is one of the best software available for printing around the world.
With this printer, you can print glossy graphics to transfer to your materials, borderless prints, black text on white background, posters and worksheets, textbooks and picture books, and much more content. You can also print banners and marketing materials up to 13” in breadth and 19” in length.
The machine’s Dash Replenishment feature keeps track of your ink usage, so that you never run out of ink suddenly. After activation of this feature, the machine itself keeps track of how much ink you have left and orders more online when you need to replace them, which is extremely convenient.
Besides, this printer uses up to 80% less power than when you use a regular laser printer machine, and finishes the job faster and more smoothly.
The Workforce WF-7210 from Epson comes with dual trays, one at the front and one at the top, and the capacity to handle more than 500 sheets; it also has a paper feed at the rear side that you can use for specialty paper, and can hold up to 125 sheets of paper at the same time.
- Can be used to print balck text on white paper
- Can be used to print vibrant graphics and photos
- Can be used to print borderless prints
- Can be used for marketing materials up to 13” x 19”
- Uses up to 80% less power than regular laser printer
- Dash Replenishment feature keeps track of ink usage
- Dash Replenishment feature can automatically order ink online when needed
- Can be only used with Epson recommended ink
- Powered by Precision Core software
- Not recommended for ink from other brands and manufacturers
- Comes with dual paper trays
- Can handle more than 500 sheets at the same time
- Separate tray at the rear for specialty paper
- Can hold up to 125 specialty papers
- Comes with 4x DURABrite Ink Cartridges in Black, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow
- 2.2” LCD display screen
- Automatic 2-sided printing up to 11” x 17”
- Wireless setup for convenience
- Can take commands from tablets, smartphones and computers
- Can be connected to gadget via Wi-Fi Direct, Ethernet and NFC
- Easy to set up and navigate
- Fast printing
2. Brother HL-L2320D Mono Laser Printer
If you are looking for something affordable and reasonably priced, this laser printer from Brother can be a good choice for your heat printing needs. Compact and easy to use, the Brother HL-2320D can print up to 30 papers per minute, when only printing on one side. However, with this printer, you can automatically print on both sides and save paper, time and employee effort.
The Brother HL-2320D uses the Electrophotographic Laser technology to print your designs, logos, photos and texts, so that you can get the best results possible for your heat printing projects. The machine can be connected to your gadgets via a Hi-Speed 2.0 USB interface for local connectivity.
The machine comes with an adjustable paper tray that you can use for both legal size or letter size paper, and the tray can hold up to 250 sheets of paper at the same time. There’s also a manual feed slot for you to feed envelopes into the printer for printing on, on both sides if needed. This machine can be used to print professional reports, documents and spreadsheets. Any document that you can print with this printer can have a resolution up to 2400 dpi.
The printing quality is high with this machine, and the speed is fast. You can print up to 2,600 pages of texts and designs before you need to replace the ink cartridges in this high-yielding machine. At only 1.5-lbs weight, this 14.2” x 7.2” x 14” machine is perfect for homes, office, commercial buildings and home offices.
- Uses Electrophotographic Laser technology for printing
- Lightweight at 1.5 lbs
- Compact shape and design at 14.2” x 7.2” x 14”
- Can be connected to your computer via Hi-Speed 2.0 USB
- Prints up to 30 papers in a minute
- Can automatically print on both sides of the paper
- Comes with a paper tray with holding capacity of 250 sheets of paper
- Paper tray can be adjusted to hold legal-sized or letter-sized paper
- Comes with an extra manual feed slot for printing on envelopes
- Comes with high-yielding ink cartridges that can print up to 2,600 sheets of paper without replacing cartridges
- Can be used to print spreadsheets, professional reports and documents
- Needs an extra USB (doesn’t come with the machine) for connection
- Needs toner for printing
3. Epson Artisan 1430 Wireless Inkjet Printer
Small and compact, the Epson Artisan 1430 is an inkjet printer especially designed to print wide-format pictures, photos and designs. You can print any kind of borderless, high definition pictures with this printer up to 13” x 19” in size, both in letter and landscape mode.
This is a Wi-Fi enabled printer, so there’s no mess with cords or wires around your work table. You can directly connect this printer to your computer, laptop or any other gadget by connecting to Wi-Fi, without needing any cords. You can also share your designs, texts, images, photos and logos from your smart phones, tablets, iPhones and any other similar gadgets to directly print them using this printer.
This printer comes ready-to-use with 6 colorful Claria Ink cartridges, each extremely high-yielding and hi-definition colors. The colors are black, magenta, Cyan, Yellow, Light Magenta and Light Cyan - every color you need to make any combination and shade of color you want. This printer is particularly perfect for printing photographs and paintings, as both the color options and the clarity of the photos printed are extremely vibrant and brilliant.
Especially for professional photographers, artists and designers, the Claria high-definition ink lasts longer and prints 4x the number of photographs and designs than any regular ink cartridge before needing to be replaced.
The remarkable image quality will leave anyone happy with the results, with up to 5760 x 1440 dpi resolution pictures; the ink droplets in each print is as small as 1.5 picoliters while printing.
All the ink cartridges are separate and individually placed, so you can only replace the one that’s empty. You won’t have to replace the whole set only because you have used a particular color more than the others! Besides, this printer comes with a CD/DVD tray that you can use to print professional looking CDs and DVDs, without needing to glue in an extra label
- Especially designed for professional photographers and artists
- Can be used to print borderless high-definition photos up to 13” x 19”
- Can be connected to gadget and computer via Wi-Fi
- Comes with 6 individual colors of Claria ink cartridges
- Comes with a CD tray to print on CDs and DVDs
- Can be printed by connecting to smart phones and tablets via Wi-Fi
- Can be used with both iOS and Android devices
- Comes with a power cord
- Doesn’t need a computer or a laptop to use
- Can be directly connected to a camera or a gadget to print
- High definition and crystal clear photographs, designs and pictures
- Individual Claria ink cartridges can be changed when needed
- Claria ink cartridges can be used 4 times regular ink cartridges
- Comes with softwares and drivers for use in computer on a CD-Rom
- Perfect for wide and large photographs and designs
4. Canon IP8720 Wireless Printer Review
Undoubtedly, Canon is one of the first names that comes to our mind when we are thinking about getting a new printer, or any time we think about printers.
Canon is one of the oldest brands that has been manufacturing printers for decades, and one of the finest and most popular brands for printers, as well. The Canon IP8720, also happens to be one of the best and most popular models of printers from this brand.
You can print large 13” x 19” photographs and designs with this printer, as opposed to the regular 8” x 10” ones that most other printers can handle. Black and white or colorful photographs, the results are stunning at all times.
This printer is perfect for professional photographers and designers, as their work can truly come to life with this printer. It comes with a 6-color ink system that can cater to any kind of photographs. The 6-ink combination also includes gray, which increases the scope for black-and-white photographs.
These inks have a 9600 x 2400 maximum color dots in every inch, with an ink droplet size of 1, 2 and 5, which makes the results stunning and extremely detailed. The printer makes minimum noise when operating, which is only 43.5 dB(A).
The Canon IP8720 can be connected wirelessly to your computers and gadgets, via Wi-Fi, which means you can place it anywhere around the house. Your printer doesn’t have to be placed near your computer or even in the same room as your computer for you to use it; you can even keep it in the attic or the basement if there’s no room in your desk.
You can use different brands of ink with the Canon IP8720, namely the CLI 251 Cyan XL, PGI 250 Pigment Black XL, the CLI 251 Magenta XL, the CLI 251 Yellow XL, the CLI 251 Pigment Black, the CLI 251 Gray XL, the CLI 251 Black XL, the CLI 251 Cyan, the CLI 251 Magenta, the CLI 251 Black, and more. The printer itself is small and compact; you can even keep it inside a drawer or a cabinet to use, which is possible as there’s no wire protruding from it.
The Canon IP8720 comes with a set-up CD-Rom, Setup Ink Tanks, a power cord, disk tray and manuals to help you with the process. The superior quality of the print and the speed of the procedure makes this one of the most popular brands of printer in the market.
- Compact, lightweight and easy to store
- Can print large 13” x 19” photographs and designs
- Can print large borderless photographs
- Only 43.5 dB(A) noise level
- Wi-Fi connectivity; doesn’t require a power cord to connect
- 9600 x 2400 maximum color dots per inch
- Incredible color quality and details in every print
- Comes with a 6-color ink tray
- Comes with gray ink for crystal clear black-and-white pictures
- Compatible with many other inks
- Comes with setup ink trays, power cord and manual
5. HP LaserJet Pro M452dw Color Printer
Rather large and grand, the LaserJet Pro M452dw from HP is more fit for offices and commercial spaces. This is a wireless printer that you can connect to your devices and gadgets via Wi-Fi, far away from where your computers are.
The printer doesn’t have to be around the devices it is connected to; it can be in another room but only needs to be connected to the Wi-Fi to work. You can connect the same printer to 10 users at the same time, which makes it ideal for small offices, homes and schools.
This is an extremely fast printer. It can print up to 28 sheets of paper every minute, which is convenient if you are working with a lot of designs. For text or black-and-white designs, each page takes 8.9 seconds to print each sheet of paper, and 9.5 seconds for colors and detailed designs.
With the color touchscreen control panel on top of the machine, you can choose to give manual commands to the machine then and there, without any chance of security leak or your confidential paperwork going public.
Besides, this is a duplex printer, which means that it can automatically print on both sides of the sheet without you having to manually flip the page with your hands. It comes with a 300-sheet input capacity and can print more than 4,000 sheets of paper monthly, and supports all kinds of paper sizes, i.e. legal, letter, Oficio, envelopes and executive.
You need to use the special toner cartridges that have been manufactured for this particular printer, which are the HP Original Cartridges. With only the recommended ink toners, there will be almost zero wastage of supplies, unnecessary delays, frustrating fingerprints on your papers and other problems with the printing.
Besides, if you choose the Original HP cartridges for this printer, they have been engineered to print up to 40% faster than regular ink and make 33% more prints than others.
- Large and heavy printer for office and group use
- Perfect for small offices, homes with multiple users and schools
- Can be connected to 10 users at the same time
- Can print both black-and-white text and colors
- Wireless connection that doesn’t require a cord
- Small color touchscreen for manual control
- Automatic double sided printing
- Prints up to 28 pages in a minute
- Takes 8.9 second to print each sheet of black-and-white text
- Takes 9.5 seconds to print each sheet of color design and text
- Keeps document and print safe and confidential
- Recommended use with HP Original toner cartridges
- HP Original toner cartridges can print 40% faster and 33% more sheets
- 300-sheet input capacity
- Can print up to 4000 sheets in a month
- Can print on any paper size (legal, letter, Oficio, envelopes and executive)
6. Canon MX492 Black Wireless All-in-One Small Printer
Very different from the device above, this wireless all-in-one printer is both small and compact. It is perfect for personal use at home, college dorm or at work, and is small enough to fit on your desk or work table. This is actually a space saving model that you can even put inside your cabinets and drawers, only to be seen when you are using it.
This printer from Canon doesn’t need to be connected to your computer or gadget via a wire; in fact, you can simply place it anywhere in the room, far away from your computer and connect it via the Internet.
This printer is compatible not just with Windows and Macs, but also Android smartphones and tablets, and iPads and iPhones. You can even use the free app, the Canon PRINT, on your phone and tablet to directly print photos and documents with this printer.
With the Auto Document Feeder, the fully integrated document feeder that will automatically make prints for you, you or any other employee won’t have to spend your valuable time with this printer.
The Canon MX492 Pro is also compatible with the Google Cloud Print, so if you have documents and photos on the cloud, you can also directly print them from this printer via the Wi-Fi connection and the Internet.
The Canon MX492 Pro printer comes with a set of FINE Cartridges, a setup CD-ROM, a pair of telephone line cables, manuals and other documents. You can connect it to your computer via USB cables if you want to, but the USB cable doesn’t come with the set.
- Small and compact; perfect size for home offices, dorms and schools
- Wireless connection via Wi-Fi
- Can be used to print, scan, copy and fax
- 30% smaller size than previous and regular printers
- Fully-integrated automatic document feeder
- Can print both text and color photos, designs and logos
- Optimal XL size ink cartridges can be used longer
- Compatible with Google Cloud storage
- Comes with FINE cartridges, Setup CD ROM and telephone cable line
- Can be controlled via the Canon PRINT app on smartphones and tablets
- Compatible with both iOS and Android devices, MAC and Windows computers
7. Workforce WF-7710 Wireless Inkjet Printer
For the best performance from the Workforce WF-7710, you need to use the ink recommended for this machine, which is the Genuine Epson Ink. Any other brand of ink that doesn’t belong to
Epson may end up damaging your machine and ruining your projects. Any kind of damage to your printer because of using another brand of ink will not be covered under the Epson warranty, and you’ll either have to pay for the repairs or replace the printer altogether.
This is an inkjet printer from Epson which gives you better quality prints than a laser printer; the Workforce WF-7710 is powered by the Precision Core, which is one of the best software for printing machines.
You can use this printer to print texts, official documents, designs and even borderless photographs up to 13” x 19”, perfect for professional photographers and designers. The Workforce WF-7710 is also an economical machine, and uses up to 80% less electricity than regular color laser printers.
This printer comes with a tray that can handle up to 250-sheets, as well as a rear feed for specialty paper with a holding capacity of 125 sheets of paper. The machine only makes 6.2 b(A) sound when turned on, and 48 dB(A) when in use. This machine has been designed for automatic double-sided printing, without you having to flip each sheet of paper with your hands.
- Small and compact machine for homes and office spaces
- Quality printing better than a laser printer
- Powered by PrecisionCore
- Can print documents and logos, photographs and designs
- Can print borderless photos up to 13” x 19”
- Can automatically print on both sides without having to flip the paper
- Comes with a 250-sheet holding tray
- Comes with a rear end specialty paper tray
- Only makes 6.2 b(A) sound when turned on and 48 dB(A) when in use
- Should be only used with recommended Genuine Epson Inks
- Can be used to print, fax, scan and copy
8. Epson Stylus C88+ Inkjet Printer
This is an inkjet printer that you can use to print on regular paper, both in black-and-white and in color. It is also quite a fast machine, with a print speed of 23 sheets per minute; with colored prints, you can print up to 14 sheets of paper in a minute.
It comes with 4 colorful ports, i.e. an USB port, an USB Standard port, and an USB 2.0. The pictures and photographs, as well as the designs printed with the Epson Stylus C88+ will have a maximum print resolution of 5760 x 1440 dpi, which will make your photographs vibrant and detailed.
You can use different types of paper with this printer, namely: regular paper, bond paper card stock, airmail paper, semi gloss paper, Matte paper, Envelope, bright white paper and presentation paper, photo paper, label and Glossy paper.
The machine comes with an input tray with a holding capacity of 250 sheets of paper, and is supported by both Windows and Mac computers. When in use, the Epson Stylus C88+ is going to make 42 dB(A) of sound, which is minimal.
This is a desktop printer that can be used for printing both official documents and professional grade photographs, designs and logos for heat transfer. The printer needs to be set on your desk or work table, close to your computer, as it can be only connected to your devices and gadgets via USB and Parallel ports, not via Wi-Fi.
The ink cartridges are all separate and individually placed, so that you can replace the one that’s finished, instead of all of them. The printer also comes with easy-to-use photo editing software that you can use to create simple designs, calendars and photo books, and more.
- Small and compact design
- Perfect for desktop use at home and work
- Needs to be placed beside or close to computers and gadgets
- Can only be connected via USB port and Parallel ports
- Can be used on regular, bond, airmail, semi gloss, Matte, Envelope, bright white, presentation, photo, label and Glossy paper
- Will make 42 dB(A) of sound when in use
- Individually placed ink cartridges can be replaced separately
- Comes with an easy photo editing software
- Can print 23 sheets of paper per minute (14 sheets if colored)
- Can print borderless photographs and designs
- Comes with an USB port, an USB Standard port, and an USB 2.0
- Maximum print resolution of 5760 x 1440 dpi
- Comes with an input tray with holding capacity of 250 sheets
9. Canon TS6120 Wireless All-in-One Printer
This device isn’t just a printer from Canon, but also a scanner and a copier; it is also compatible with Google Cloud Printing and AirPrint™. This means that you won’t just be able to connect your printer to your devices without a wire or a cord, but that you can use it to print documents and photos that are stored in your phones and cloud accounts.
This is a wireless device that you can place anywhere in the room, not just near your computer; it can be connected to smartphones, tablets, laptops and personal computers via Wi-Fi, which eliminates the mess created by unnecessary wires and cords.
Thanks to AirPrint, you can print any document or photos that have been stored in your smartphone or tablet, without having to go through a medium. You can use Wi-Fi or Bluetooth to print these documents and photos via this printer, or directly print pictures from Social Media, or even when you are away from home.
This all-in-one printer can be fit anywhere on your desk, in your home or even inside your drawers and counters. Outstanding results with every print, the Canon TS6120 comes with a 5” LCD touchscreen, two paper support trays (one at the front and one at the rear), and high speed connectivity via USB cable.
You can connect this printer to your computer both USB cable and via Wi-Fi, and the machine can itself automatically print on both sides of the paper without having to manually flip the paper. The Canon PRINT app on your smartphone and tablet can be used to control this printer to make prints of photos and documents from your device.
- Lightweight and compact design
- Can be placed anywhere in the house, away from the computer
- Can be also used as a scanner and a copier
- Wireless connection without need for wire
- Requires an Internet connection to operate
- Can be used to print photos and documents from smartphones, tablets and computers
- Fits into any drawer and cabinet for storing and using
- Comes with two trays at the front and the back
- Can be used to directly print photos from your phone using AirPrint
- Can be used to make a copy without misplacing the original
- Comes with 5 individual Ink System
- Can print borderless photos in different sizes
- Can print photos in 4”x6”, 5”x7” and 5”x5”
- Can automatically print on both sides of the paper
- Comes with a 3” LCD touch screen control
- Compatible with Google Cloud
10. Oki Data C531dn Digital Color Printer
Another rather large printer, the OkiData C531dn from OKI is not really one of the most popular brands available in the market, but a reliable one. It is a heavy machine, at 53 pounds, and quite large at 24.5”x20.9”x15.4”, more suitable for offices than for personal use at home. You can use the same machine to print on regular paper, and print labels for envelopes, banners, discs, files and folders, and packages.
Manufactured in Thailand, this brand has a helpful 24/7 helpline. This is a great printer fit for a small office, a startup or a home with enough space and multiple users. A solid and dependable machine, it will give you years of use and is more reliable than a laser printer. This is not a Wireless device, which means you need to place it somewhere near your computer and connect it via an USB cable.
- Large printer model at 24.5”x20.9”x15.4”
- Heavy model at 53 pounds
- More suitable for small offices than for homes
- Can be used to print on regular paper
- Can be used to print on labels for file folders, packages, discs and banners
- Helpful 24/7 help line
- Needs to be connected via USB cable
- More reliable than a laser printer
These are the 10 most popular printers available in the market at the moment, each with their own features and details. Some of them are perfect for personal use at home, while others are more suitable for small and large office spaces; however, there would be one that’s the best fit for you and your printing needs.
Printer for Heat Transfers buying guide
Most printers are almost the same in their features and usefulness, but there are some qualities in them that are different.
Of course, you’ll need to look for some special features in the printer that you want to choose for your home or office, so that it satisfies all your printing needs. These are the features that your printer should ideally have for it to be the most useful to you.
The first point to note is whether the printer you want is compatible with the particular kind of computer or smartphone you use. Most printers these days are compatible with both Windows, Linux and Mac users, Android and iOS operating systems. With such a printer, you can use multiple types of computers, laptops, smartphones and tablets in your home and office.
Besides, with some printers, you can directly print from your smartphones and tablets, iPhones and iPads, without the need for any medium, such as the Canon TS6120 Wireless All-in-One Printer and the Canon MX492 Black Wireless All-in-One Small Printer. With these two printers, you can directly print documents and photographs stored inside your phone and tablet, without first having to transfer them to your computer.
There are two ways of connecting your printer to your computer: the traditional way with USB cables and parallel ports, or the mess-free way via Wi-Fi connection. Most printers these days don't require a wire or an USB cable to be connected to the computer, which also means that you can place the printer anywhere you want to.
The Workforce WF-7210 Wireless Inkjet Printer, the Epson Artisan 1430 Wireless Inkjet Printer, the Canon IP8720 Wireless Printer, the HP LaserJet Pro M452dw Color Printer and the Canon MX492 Black Wireless All-in-One Small Printer are all wireless printers.
You can place them anywhere in your home or office, away from your desk or work table, or even in a different room, and they will work fine. You can even connect these printers to your smartphones and tablets via Wi-Fi, and print documents and photos stored inside these devices without needing to transfer them to a computer first.
On the other hand, the Brother HL-2320D Mono Laser Printer, the Epson Stylus C88+ Inkjet Printer and the OkiData C531dn Digital Color Printer all require a cable to be connected to your computer. These kinds of printers also need to be placed close to the computer to be connected to them, which can become a nuisance sometimes.
Speed is important when you’ll need to print a lot of paper within a short time, which often happens in an office before a meeting. This is when you need a printer that can print a number of sheets within a very short time, so that you don’t have to spend too long around the printer.
The Brother HL-2320D Mono Laser Printer, for example, can print up to 30 sheets of paper under a minute; the HP LaserJet Pro M452dw Color Printer can print 28 sheets of paper at the same time. However, the same printers take a slightly longer time to print colored documents, detailed designers and full-page photographs.
A Good Printing Quality
Printing quality is determined by DPI, which means dots per inch. The higher the DPI of the printer, the better the picture quality is going to be. The Brother HL-2320D Mono Laser Printer has 2400 dpi, and the Epson Artisan 1430 Wireless Inkjet Printer has 5760 x 1440 dpi resolution.
The Canon IP8720 Wireless Printer, on the other hand, has a much higher 9600 dpi, and can give you a much better print quality than the previous two.
Paper and Material Options
With some printers, you can print on regular white paper, but with other models, you can do much more. For example, with the Workforce WF-7210 Wireless Inkjet Printer, you can print on textbooks, picture books, posters, marketing materials and worksheets. With the Brother HL-2320D Mono Laser Printer, you can print spreadsheets, professional reports and documents.
However, with the Epson Stylus C88+ Inkjet Printer, you can print on more than just regular paper! You can use this printer on bond paper card stock, airmail paper, semi gloss paper, Matte paper, Envelope, bright white paper and presentation paper, photo paper, label and Glossy paper, and create a number of projects.
With the HP LaserJet Pro M452dw Color Printer, you can print on multiple paper sizes, including legal paper, letter size, executive and Oficio paper size, and envelopes.
These days, printers are more than just printing machines; you can use them to make copies, send faxes and also scan your documents. The Canon MX492 Black Wireless All-in-One Small Printer and the Workforce WF-7710 Wireless Inkjet Printer are such printers that can be used as a printer, scanner, copier and fax machine.
Paper Handling Capacity
With the modern printers, copiers and fax machines, you won’t have to stand beside the machine to feed it paper sheets when you need printouts or copies. The machines themselves come with feeder trays that can store and handle hundreds of sheets, to feed into the machine automatically when needed.
This way, you can start printing from far away, from another room or another part of your home office, and your printer will have a steady supply of paper ready for use.
The Workforce WF-7210 Wireless Inkjet Printer, for example, comes with a paper tray that can handle up to 500 sheets of paper and the Brother HL-L2320D Mono Laser Printer can handle up to 250 sheets of paper.
The HP LaserJet Pro M452dw Color Printer can hold up to 300 sheets of paper, but both the Epson Stylus C88+ Inkjet Printer and the Workforce WF-7710 Wireless Inkjet Printer can hold up to 250 sheets of paper, which is the standard for most printers.
At the same time, with some printers, you can get a separate paper tray for specialty paper, like the Workforce WF-7210 Wireless Inkjet Printer that has a holding capacity of 125 specialty sheets of paper.
Recommended Ink Type
It is always better to use the ink type and brand that has been recommended by the manufacturer, as anything else - even the expensive variety - may end up and damage your printer.
Besides, when you use the recommended ink type, you save up on paper, as these inks give you the maximum number of papers printed with each new cartridge. The recommended ink cartridges also happen to be more affordable than if you try to buy ink cartridges from other brands.
The Workforce WF-7210 Wireless Inkjet Printer recommends the use of Genuine Epson Ink in this printer, and the machine’s Dash Replenishment feature keeps track of your ink usage. The machine itself will order more ink online when your cartridges are almost finished, so that you don’t have to go a single day without ink.
The Epson Artisan 1430 Wireless Inkjet Printer, too, comes with a 6-color Claria Ink Cartridges - perfect for printing out professional grade photographs and designs. These are also high-definition inks that lasts 4 times longer and can give you 4 times the number of prints than regular ink.
The HP LaserJet Pro M452dw Color Printer, too, needs to use only the HP Original cartridges, and nothing else. Using any other kind of cartridges or ink can severely damage the printer beyond repair.
Duplex printing isn’t a feature you can find in most printers, but only the more expensive and larger ones. Duplex printing refers to when your printer can automatically print on both sides of a sheet of paper, without someone having to flip the paper manually with their hands. This special feature can save a lot of employee time, paper and significantly reduce the size of your paperwork.
You can find the duplex printing feature in the Workforce WF-7210 Wireless Inkjet Printer, the Brother HL-L2320D Mono Laser Printer, the HP LaserJet Pro M452dw Color Printer, the Workforce WF-7710 Wireless Inkjet Printer and the Canon TS6120 Wireless All-in-One Printer.
Some other features can be equally important and helpful in a printer for your home or office, such as:
- A compact design that you can tuck inside any drawer or cabinet in your home office or commercial space, so that you don’t make a mess on your table;
- Printers that can be used to print large borderless photographs and designs, which will save paper;
- Printers that use less power, i.e. the Workforce WF-7210 Wireless Inkjet Printer which uses up to 80% less power than any regular printer;
- Small LCD touch screens on the printer, that you can use for manual printing, copying and scanning;
- Printers powered by PrecisionCore;
- Printers that can be used for printing out professional grade photographs, like the Epson Artisan 1430 Wireless Inkjet Printer;
- Printers that can print on paper of different shapes, sizes and thickness;
- Individual ink cartridges, so that you can change the one that’s finished instead of having to change the whole thing, etc.
You can find most of these features in the popular printer brands and models in the market, and they will be absolutely perfect for your hra printing business or projects.
What are the Popular Brands: which ones to suggest?
Most brands that were previously famous for laser printers also make specialized printers for heat transfer purposes. The names that are famous all around the world - Canon, Epson, HP and Brother, are the most important ones when it comes to any kind of printing machines. Other lesser known brands, i.e. Oki Data, Workforce, etc, are also quite efficient in their performance.
HP is undoubtedly the best name that comes to everyone’s mind when talking about printers. The printer discussed in this article, the HP LaserJet Pro M452dw Color Printer, happens to be a laser printer, but extremely efficient. It is large and fast, and more fitted for offices than homes. It can print up to 28 pages in less than a minute, and can be connected to up to 10 computers and gadgets.
Canon is the next name that comes to our mind for printers, like the Canon TS6120 Wireless All-in-One Printer, the Canon MX492 Black Wireless All-in-One Small Printer and the Canon IP8720 Wireless Printer. These are all wireless printers that come in all sizes, and are perfect for professional photographers and artists. They can print large photos up to 13” x 19” in size, which are larger than what the regular printers can handle.
Brothers and Epson are also quite well-known in the world of printers, as well. The Brother HL-L2320D Mono Laser Printer from Brother, the Epson Artisan 1430 Wireless Inkjet Printer and Epson Stylus C88+ Inkjet Printer from Epson are the three printers that have been discussed here in this article. The one from Brother is a laser printer while the ones from Epson are inkjet printers; for heat transfer projects, it is always better to use an inkjet printer, which makes the Epson printers more efficient.
The OkiData C531dn Digital Color Printer, too, is a large printer that’s only just a regular digital color printer, more suitable for printing documents at an office than at home. Both the Workforce WF-7210 Wireless Inkjet Printer and the Workforce WF-7710 Wireless Inkjet Printer are wireless inkjet printers from Workforce that are powered by PrecisionCore, and can be used for printing photographs, documents, designs and art.
It is always recommended that you use an inkjet printer for heat transferring projects, but a laser printer can do the job efficiently, as well. However, when buying a printer, it is also best to choose ones that come from a reputed brand such as Canon, HP, Epson and Brother. These printers come with the best warranty and you can get replacement parts and service easily on them.
How Does Heat Transfer Printer Works?
Heat transfer printing is also known as thermal printing, thermal-wax transferring or thermal-transfer printing; it is the procedure to use heat to transfer any kind of image, photograph, text or document from wax to another material.
The most common form of heat transfer machine is to transfer designs from a piece of paper to a T-shirt, or something similar. Designs, logo and text can also be transferred to caps and hats, plates, mugs, glass, mouse pads, and more materials, depending on the machine itself.
This is where the function of a printer comes in. Whether you are using an Inkjet or a Laser printer, the process is the same. The design that you have created on your computer or downloaded from the Internet needs to be printed on a piece of heat-transfer paper, and that paper, which is then used to transfer the design to the material you have in mind.
Heat Transfer Ink:
Any ink that is compatible with the printer you are using can be used in heat-transfer printing. The process of heat transfer is more dependent on the paper that you use than on the ink itself.
Each printer comes with a set of instructions about the particular type of ink that needs to be used in printing with that specific printer; using a different brand of printer can lead to permanent damage on the printer.
Therefore, any ink is fine as long as it is compatible with the printer you are using, and the kind of paper you have. If you have the correct heat-transfer paper for your projects, you won’t have to worry about the right kind of ink.
Heat Transfer Paper:
Heat-transfer requires a special kind of paper which is known as heat-transfer paper; this kind of paper looks just like an ordinary paper but has special properties. They are manufactured to transfer any kind of designs, logo or text to another material. All laser and inkjet printers are compatible with this kind of heat-transfer paper, so if you have the right kind of paper, you’ll be able to use any kind of printer.
It is the heat-transfer papers that are important in the process, as they are made specially. Regular kind of paper is coated with a layer of wax and pigment to make heat transfer paper. This is because the designs, logo and text printed on this kind of paper needs to be transferred to another surface with heat, instead of being absorbed by the paper itself.
Without the wax and the pigment, the ink will be instantly absorbed by the paper and there won’t be anything left on the paper to transfer to the T-shirt or similar material. This is why it is extremely important that you choose the right kind of heat-transfer paper for your project.
There are different kinds of heat-transfer paper to suit your needs, based on the design and the type of materials you have in mind. For example:
- Inkjet Transfer Paper for transferring text, image, logo, design and photographs from the paper to other materials. They are the paper used in inkjet and laser printers.
- Sublimation Transfer Paper that is used to transfer image and designs to polyester and other synthetic fabric only.
- Plastisol Screen Printing Transfer Paper which can only be used to transfer designs to cotton, polyester and polyester blend fabric, but is limited to only a few colors.
- Cold peel Screen Printing Transfer Paper which is like a piece of parchment paper, and will give the transferred ink on fabric a sort of rubbery and slippery feeling.
- Heat-press Vinyls aren’t exactly transfer paper, but a process to apply any kind of design to fabric. They come in various colors and textures - glittery, shiny, designed or matte; you can cut them into any shape, silhouette and size, and apply to fabric. This process doesn’t require a printer, but can be shaped into anything using a cutting machine.
Using a heat-transfer printer:
Using a printer for heat-transfer images and designs is similar to printing any regular document using your regular printer. If you have the right ink that is compatible with the machine and the right of transfer paper, you can print any image, photo, text or logo with your printer.
Just like any kind of printing, the design or image that you can choosen needs to be open in an editing software. Whether you have created the image yourself or downloaded something from the Internet, you can use your printer from the editing software.
You can also directly use the “Print” option on your Image Viewer to directly print a downloaded image from the Internet. However, if you want to edit, change or resize the downloaded logo or image, you need to open it in an editing software. In software such as Photoshop or Illustrator, you can make any kind of changes to the image, make it beyond recognition. This could also help if you want to avoid copyright rules.
In some special kind of transfer paper, i.e. the transfer paper for dark fabric, the image you want to download needs to be a mirror image of what you want on your material. This is because when you are transferring your image on a dark T-shirt, it is done by placing the transfer paper on top of the material, face down.
Whatever text, logo or image you have on the transfer would come out opposite on the material. For this reason, if you are printing on transfer paper for dark fabric, the image you print needs to be a mirror image of the image you have in mind.
Apart from this, using your inkjet or laser printer on heat-transfer paper is completely similar to using the same printer on a regular piece of paper. If you are using an Inkjet printer, the image quality would be much more vibrant than if you use a laser printer or a regular digital printer, which is why this kind of printer is recommended for heat-transfer.
The ink may take a little longer to dry on transfer paper, but after drying, they’ll be just as any regular print.
After you’re done printing the image, logo or design, let it dry, and then it will be ready for transferring to any material or surface you have in mind, depending on the process you have around you.
These days, printers are more than just devices to print your documents; you can use them in your printing and heat transfer projects and business. For professional use, you’ll only need the best printers that're available for you now, especially if you want your own projects to be flawless and perfect.