Best Paper Cutter / Trimmer Reviews in 2019 (Expert’s Guide)
Cutting or trimming any paper with a faulty or unsuitable paper trimmer is a hassle, isn't it?
Not just that you may fail to get the accuracy you need, it will take a lot of time to finish your job. Whether you make scrapbooks, cards, a professional craft etc; you must get the best paper trimmer to aid your work.
To avoid a headache and anger, you always need the perfect paper cutter to have a stress-free experience in your next project.
This paper cutter review is loaded with details that will help you to pick the best paper trimmer. When you know what to consider before making a choice, the best brand will come home with you. It is time to stop suffering from paper cutting/trimming.
Need a suggestion? Check our top 4 choices below!
1. Fiskars 12 Inch Recycled SureCut Trimmer
If you want the best paper cutter for your office or home use, this particular product is a must-have for you. It is portable and a lightweight which makes it easy to use and a fast worker.
Fiskars is the best cutter that you can use to have fun trimming your paper. You can use it for your photos, coupons or office paper and store it easily due to its portability. There is a patent pending cut-line which serves as an indicator to the blade for easy and proper alignment of your project.
The triple track system which is already patented will interlock your blade together with the rail to ensure precision and accuracy when you are cutting. You can simply make use of the rail to insert your project with the help of the pivots that opens conveniently.
This brand of paper trimmer comes with a grid and printed scale which helps the user know where to place the project before cutting. Again, there is a titanium blade coated with triple carbide of titanium which serves as friction and wears reducer.
Due to this mechanism, the blade of this particular product is sharper.
Also included in the make-up of this paper trimmer is a high-end ergonomic carriage for cutting. It has a specific tight grip, and rubber encased feet to make sure that the paper trimmer does not move while in action.
The integrated paper clamps are there to help hold down the paper in place, also to prevent your fingers from mistakenly smudging the papers or pictures you want to cut.
This SureCut recycled trimmer can cut up to 7 sheets of 20lb paper that are up to 12 inches in length. There is also an available blade that you can use to replace your current blade in the case of emergencies.
- It is compact and light in weight which makes it easy to cut photos, office papers, and coupons.
- There is a SureCut cut-line wire which indicates the place for the blade to cut.
- This product comes with a rail and a triple track system which interlocks to produce steady, straight, not wobbly or curved cuts.
- There is also a provision for a lifetime warranty.
- It also comes with a high-profile ergonomic cutting carriage to ensure perfect gripping.
- There is a SureCut cut-line indicator to direct the appropriate cutting alignment.
2. Swingline Paper Trimmer / Cutter, 15" Cut Length
This brand has the edge over the rest of the paper cutting machine available today. This is due to the sharp visuals that ensure clean and neat cut lines on a project.
No matter the size of your office environment, the ClassicCut Lite Paper cutter is the perfect trimmer for you to use. It can comfortably cut the occasional ten sheet project due to the guillotine style of the design.
It is compact and a lightweight with a latch hook for the blade and a guardrail as a protective measure.
At least, you will be sure that your finger will not smudge the project or interact with the sharp blades thanks to the rail.
This particular product comes with a steel blade that can sharpen itself to serve for your multi-purpose cutting related needs. ClassicCut paper trimmer brand is the best one to use on bond paper, construction paper, customized presentations, photos, and cardstock respectively.
The body has a plastic construction which is durable and light in weight. The portability makes it easy to carry about with you anywhere.
Also available in this paper trimmer is an imperial or metric ruler and grid for proper alignment and precision.
- There is an alignment grid to ensure accuracy and precision.
- The design of the blade is 15 inches in length so that it can cut up to 10 sheets at a time.
- It also comes with a latch hook for the blade and a guardrail as a protective measure.
- The design for this paper trimmer is the guillotine style which makes it perfect for multi-purpose and occasional usage.
- It is durable, portable and light in weight due to the long-lasting plastic construction.
- The 15-inch long blade is extra sharp to cut a thin and straight line on ten sheets of paper at the same time.
3. HFS New Heavy Duty Paper Cutter- 12" Commercial Metal Base
This paper cutter is the typical massive duty production that you have ever come across. It has a specific design which will enable the cutting of up to 400 sheets of paper just one single pass.
There is a sturdy clamp which is inbuilt in the paper trimmer that puts even pressure on the entire area for cutting. This will make sure that the paper does not drag or shift during cutting.
The HFS stack guillotine paper cutter has a 12-inch cut length which enables it to cut large projects from front to back.
HFS is capable of working such jobs like large books or posters. It has a standard hinge system that increases the leverage between the handle and the blade.
This result in reducing the strength needed to achieve an even cutting for the whole phone book to almost nothing. The construction carries a robust steel design to make sure that this paper cutter lasts for a very long time.
There are rubber feet attached to all the corners of this particular paper trimmer to prevent the machine from sliding during use.
The design of the handle is removable to enable convenient storage. You can comfortably cut large quantities of paper very fast with this paper cutter due to its moveable fence.
It also has rulers and grid which is printed correctly on the cutter base to ensure fast measuring rough cuts. In fact, with this paper cutter, you can successfully make postcards and half-page flyers.
- The design for this HFS 12 inch paper trimmer makes it capable to cut 400 sheets of paper in one single pass.
- It has an adjustable paper clamp to ensure accuracy and precision.
- You can conveniently replace the blade and sharpen it.
- It saves time and preserves your energy.
4. Fiskars Bypass Trimmer
With this paper cutting machine, you don't need to look for a replacement blade because it comes with the blade that sharpens itself. This blade is so sharp that it is capable of cutting through 10 sheets of paper in one single pass.
For safety, storage and transportation purposes, the FSK01005452 Bypass paper trimmer carries an arm lock design.
You can be sure of this product's accuracy and alignment because of the grid on its base coupled with its usage of the precision printed scale.
There is also a paper clamp which holds down the sheets for proper alignment and to protect the papers from smudges. Attached to the corners of this Bypass trimmer are rubber feet which prevent the machine from skidding during use and promotes stability.
The base for this particular paper trimmer comes from 100% post-consumer resin which has been recycled. The standard cutting length of this Fiskars paper trimmer is 12 inches with the weight of 50.4 pounds and dimensions of 14.1" x 20.1" x 2.6" respectively.
- It can sharpen itself.
- Rubber feet to prevent skidding and promote stability.
- It comes with a grid on the base and printed scale for precision and easy alignment.
- The cutting length of this paper trimmer is 12 inches.
- There is also a built-in arm lock proper storage and safe transportation.
- You will also see a paper clamp that protects the papers from smudges and provides accurate alignment.
- The base is made from 100% post-consumer resin which has been recycled.
5. Amzdeal Paper Cutter Guillotine Paper Cutter/ Trimmer
The design for this specific brand of paper cutting machine originates from the innovative ideas and useful contributions from the consumers.
It is a heavy duty machine which can cut through stacks of paper for commercial purposes. This machine comes with a steel side gauge which is machined and 1/32 inch resolution measurements.
It also comes with an innovative rail-base that is 100% steel as a support arm which can be flipped merely to accommodate both long and large documents. The base of this paper cutter has the all steel heavy duty design and is protected from wear and tear with a resistant coating.
The Amzdeal Paper Cutter Guillotine Paper Cutter is just for professionals since its highest cutting width 12 inches with the thickness of 400 sheets of 20lb bond papers. It weighs up to 36 pounds with the dimensions of 19.5" x 19" x 7" respectively.
This paper trimmer is for heavy duty production since the sturdy construction design is for professionals. It is not complicated to operate, it is strong, and the frames are well-balanced. There is also the existence of the metric and standard measure and a strong blade assembly. The construction is all steel base and rail which is machined professionally.
- A user manual
- Feet at the corners to prevent skidding.
- A strong side steel gauge.
- An automatic blade lock which increases safety and stops cutting of the paper until it is released.
- The replaceable steel blade is customized by the manufacturers to be strong precise in its cutting.
- The weight is 36 pounds and the overall sizes of 19.5" x 19" x 7 inches.
- It also has a strong blade assembly with computer initiated dual measures.
- The surface has protection from scratch with wear and tear resistant coating.
- It is capable of cutting up to 400 sheets of paper at one single pass.
6. Dahle 446 Premium Rolling Trimmer, 36-1/8" Cut Length, 25 Sheet Capacity
This paper cutting machine is the current standard for paper trimmer design. Accuracy and safety epitomize this model due to the cutting blades which are surrounded by plastic housing. With this type of safety measures, it is impossible for the user to suffer any injury personally.
The blades have the rotary action design which enables it to sharpen itself during the cutting session and to cut from any direction. With this feature, you have the assurance of a long time precision and smoothness and a precise burr-free cutting.
The Dahle 446 Premium Rolling Trimmer is a special design for heavy duty production which needs accuracy and precision. It can even cut successfully with precision either way on light duty productions with the same burr-free accuracy.
The reason for its cutting capacity is due to the sturdy construction of the square aluminum rod that provides guidance. Just with a little activity of the cutting head, this rod releases its highest strength.
Dahle paper cutting machine weighs only 24 pounds with the dimensions of 44 1/8" x 15" respectively. Photographers, graphic design agencies, office professionals, copy and print shops can successfully make use of this particular machine for their operations.
- The blades can sharpen by itself and also cut from either direction.
- It is capable of cutting up to 22 sheets of paper in a single pass.
- The steel blade has a coating of a protective housing for safety purposes.
- There is also an automatic clamp that comes with this design to stop shifting during operation.
- It also comes with a durable metal base which provides a sturdy foundation.
- You can even see screen guides which promote precision in the alignment.
- It also comes with alignment guide which can be adjusted.
7. Swingline Paper Trimmer / Cutter, Guillotine, 12" Cut Length, 15 Sheet Capacity
This brand is all about heavy-duty production and provides multiple sturdy high-class performances. It is the best paper trimmer to use if you have a shared workspace.
The blades can sharpen by itself with the cut length of 12 inches and can cut up to 15 sheets of paper at the same time. It has a cutting arm which is die-cast with a heavy duty base. This paper cutting trimmer also comes with a grid and ruler to ensure proper alignment.
The cutting arm is supported and kept in its proper place by a steel tension spring for safety purposes. There is also a latch hook for the blade that locks the blade when it is not in use and a guardrail for protection.
Swingline ClassiCut Guillotine paper trimmer has a specific design that enables it to have a high tolerance for high volume and high capacity cutting tasks. It is also capable of trimming materials that are exceptionally thick like documents for a presentation, photos, and crafts respectively.
There is even the dual metric ruler and grid printed on the base of this paper trimmer for accuracy and precision in alignment.
- The handle is secured in all directions by spring washers for safety purposes.
- There is also a protective guard rail and a latch hook which locks the blade in place during storage.
- The blade has the self-sharpening design and can cut for both light duties to heavy-duty productions.
- There is the presence of steel tension springs which holds down the guillotine arm of the blade during operation.
- It also comes with dual measurement ruler and grid for accurate measurement and precise alignment.
- The cutting length of this trimmer is 12 inches, a lightweight of 0.96 ounces and the dimensions of 4 x 21 x 14 inches respectively.
8. Fiskars Precision Rotary Bypass Trimmer, 12-Inch
The Fiskars Precision Rotary Bypass Trimmer, 12-Inch is the perfect paper cutting machine to carry out mixed media jobs. It is flawless and comes with a dual cutting bar rail.
This paper trimmer is a self-sharpening cutting machine that does not require replacement for the blade.
This particular rotary bypass paper trimmer can cut through strong materials like; chipboard, burlap paper, vinyl, cork, layers of cardstock and foam respectively.
The expanded by 2-1/2" grid patterns are permanent, and the scales are in metric measurement. This product has a foldable deck which is added to promote easy storage of the paper trimmer.
Also attached to the corners are rubber feet for stability during operation and guard lock to hold down the sheets and prevent smudges on the paper.
- The blades are self-sharpening and do not need replacement.
- It can cut through thick materials like; vinyl, burlap paper, chipboard, cork, layers of cardstock and foam respectively.
- It is the best cutting machine for mixed media jobs.
- The weight is 6.3 pounds with the dimensions of 5 x 19.9 x 9.2 inches.
- There are a paper guard and a rotary precision bypass and a rotary blade bypass carriage for this trimmer.
- The grid pattern is permanent and expanded by 2-1/2 inches.
- It has rubber feet attached to the corners for stability.
- There is also a foldable deck for secure storage of the cutting machine.
- A guard lock is also built-in to hold down the sheets for accuracy and prevent smudges.
9. Westcott 12" TrimAir Titanium Wood Guillotine Titanium Wood Guillotine Paper Trimmer
Westcott paper trimmer has become a rage globally due to its cutting-edge, revolutionary technology. It is an award winner as the world's most favorite scissors.
The blade of this paper cutting machine is bonded with titanium, and it maintains longtime sharpness. The design for this Westcott's TrimAir Wood Guillotine paper cutter is a contemporary one with a safety guarded handle that is comfortable to use.
You can successfully use this paper trimming machine to office projects and home use with a perfect outcome that has never been matched. The design for this particular product has the specific Anti-Microbial protection that protects it.
The weight is up to 5.78 pounds with the dimensions of 22.4 x 3.4 x 14.1 inches respectively. To be precise, this paper trimmer can flawlessly and comfortably cut your sheets of papers with making a sound.
- This paper trimmer comes with the revolutionary anti-microbial protection for products.
- The blades are bonded to the titanium technology which enhances its sharpness.
- The handle has an ergonomic design and comes with a safety guard which makes it comfortable to hold.
- It has a spectacular contemporary design with a natural wood base
- You can efficiently use this paper trimming machine to cut through 30 sheets of 20lb sheets at a single pass.
- There is even an attached safety guard to increase the protection measures.
10. Swingline Paper Trimmer / Cutter, Guillotine, ClassicCut Pro, 15" Cut Length
This paper trimming machine has a traditional design that involves a wood base cutting surface. It has the heavy duty production design since it can cut up to 15 sheets of photos, labels or papers.
It is specifically meant for standard cutting projects and strong enough to neatly cut through heavy or thicker materials. The extra sharp guillotine blade has the cut length of 15 inches and the perfect trimmer for your normal day to day trimming sessions.
In the make-up of the Swingline Paper Trimmer, you will discover a dual scale measurement ruler and grid for proper alignment. The operation of the machine is flawless.
All you have to do is just to measure and map out the sheets that you want to cut to get the perfect trimming outcome. To protect the users of this paper trimmer, there is a latch hook to lock down the blade and a safety guard rail.
- There is a limited provision for warranty of 10 years.
- This particular paper trimmer offers a guillotine paper trimming of up 15 sheets in one single pass.
- It has the cutting length of 15 inches
- There is the existence of a dual scale ruler and grid pattern for precision and alignment.
- The rail has a protective guard to provide safety.
- There is also a latch hook that locks the blade down as a precautionary measure.
Things To Know Before Buying The Best Paper Cutter or Trimmer
It is not easy to enter the marketplace and pick the best brand of a paper trimmer. If you make a random selection, you may mix the opportunity to work with the paper trimmer for card making especially if you are on such a project.
There are many brands out there, but before making a choice, there are few thing you must consider to aid your decision.
The purpose/material for the cutter
Before picking any paper cutter, you must decide the purpose for it. Don't forget that you can use one paper cutter for every cutting need you have.
If you are planning to work on cardboard, get the best paper trimmer for card making so that it can serve your purposes.
If you are going to be cutting heavy materials, get a heavy-duty paper cutter for best results. For lightweights, there are some specific cutters for them too. Don't miss the two at any point.
Therefore, determine the materials you will be cutting before setting out to buy a paper trimmer.
The frequency of usage.
How often you will be using a paper cutter will determine the best brand for you. If you are just getting a paper cutter for a one time cut, just pick the basic ones without disturbing yourself.
But if your business or work entails a lot of paper cutting or trimming, you have to put a great effort into getting the best brand. You have to look out for safety and quality in any paper cutter that will serve you for a long time.
Even if you are a careful person, you should know that if you use a paper cutter for a long time, you will take it for granted that you have mastered the art of using it. We all know how dangerous it can be.
So, if are going to use a cutter for a long time, add some bucks to your initial budget and get the one that has extra safety measures.
Also, check the blade's quality and the quality of the base plate to ensure your safety and long-time usage.
Size of paper to cut
There are many uses of paper cutters like school supplies, craft, arts, office papers, etc. Your choice of a paper cutter will base on the volume of paper you will cut at once. "What is the largest paper size I will be cutting" should be the first question you have to answer before you set out to make a choice.
Bear in mind that if you get a small paper trimmer, it may cut only two sheets of paper efficiently while you need to cut 50 sheets at once. So instead of getting a trimmer, pick a full paper cutter that can handle more than you plan at the same time.
After all, you may never know when the workload will multiply. Oh! Don't forget to check the thickness of the papers. There are good paper cutters that can handle thick papers.
Manual or Automatic
Yes! There are automatic paper cutters, and there are manual paper cutters. Now the question is, which one will you pick?
Automatic run by motors and doesn't need human help or interference to adjust materials. Manual, on the other hand, may require one or two people before cutting.
The choice between the two will depend on the volume of work you have. If you are a big user, get the automatic paper cutter so that it will run on its own and save time and extra cost.
However, the manual paper cutter is not bad for someone who uses the machine once in a while.
Before deciding on the type and the brand of paper cutter, you will buy, don't forget to check your available space. Some paper cutters are huge and can take more room than available.
For instance, the guillotine paper cutter has some heavy ones that you cannot move from one place to another.
Therefore, if you have limited space and will also need to move your paper cutter from one place to another, please go for the lighter ones. Yes! You may not cut fifty sheets at once, but you can gradually get there while still having space to maneuver.
If you are someone who is always doing a repeat cutting, you can consider getting the programmable cutter which you can program the sequences of cuts you make and allow it run whenever you load the papers in it.
Well, I am happy you now know what to look out for in any brand of a paper cutter.
Go ahead and check these awesome brands which we carefully selected from the many in the market.
How to Use a Paper Cutter?
Before I go ahead with telling you how to use a paper cutter, I want to remind you that papers cutters can also cut human flesh.
Eew! Yes! It has a blade and the sharper the blade, the faster you work. However, if you don't pay attention to what you are doing, that sharp blade may turn detrimental to your hands.
So my point is this, get a paper cutter that has some safety features. It is quite unfortunate that some manufacturers forget that safety is the ultimate and forget to add these features.
Just ignore those brands without safety measure or if you must patronize them, be more alert while you cut papers before your flesh feel the brunt of the sharp blade.
If you have decided to use a paper cutter instead of the old-fashioned scissors cutting, do the following:
Pick the right paper cutter
Like I said earlier, select a brand that suits your needs, the available space, and your budget. It may be manual, automatic, stationery, mobile, high capacity and low capacity. Make the right choice at the beginning, so you don't regret later.
Place the cutter on a flat surface
Don't forget; you need a flat surface like a table top, etc. If you are using the manual type, you must keep the paper cutter where your hands can reach comfortably to avoid pains.
Automatic paper cutters that don't need your help can stay higher if it must.
Some brands of paper cutter come with a safety latch for keeping the blade safely away from you. It will keep it face down so that you will not mistakenly brush past it.
Before you start, make sure that your fingers, hands and cloth is very far from the cutter blade. Don't give it the chance to rip off your flesh thinking it is paper.
Fix the paper properly on the base
You don't want to do a wrong job, do you? Make sure you put the paper according to the instructions like the right cutting measurement and the right quantity of papers.
If you get it right, you will not have to do it twice. Remember, if you add more paper than necessary, you may not get the clean cut you want.
Bring down the arm
When you bring the arm of the cutter down, the blade will cut the papers. However, if you are using an automatic paper cutter, the machine will handle the maneuvering for you.
It is simple, isn't it? Just remember, if you need a paper cutter for your crafts projects, you may need to get a small paper. If you are working on scrapbooks, get the perfect paper cutter for scrapbooking to get the best results.
Also, the paper cutter you pick will determine how easy your work will be. If you make the wrong choice, things may not go as smooth as you need. Get the right paper cutter for your needs.
An investment in the best paper cutters is worth making. It will make your work easy, deliver smooth results after cutting and allow you to handle multiple projects at a time. You can get the manual ones or even the automatic paper cutters.
The choice to get a guillotine paper cutter or rotary paper cutter should depend on your purpose and frequency. There are many brands out there but remember to put safety first.
We have equipped you with everything you need to know before choosing a paper cutter. We have also presented top ten paper cutters on the market so your search can be simple.
Get yours today and enjoy the benefits of working with the best paper trimmers for a very long time.