12 Best Craft Organizers: Reviews 2021 (Recommended!)
If you are interested in crafting as a hobby, or if you have a business of your own, one thing is clear: you’ll need to deal with a lot of supplies. Crafting is probably the one hobby where you can never have too many supplies, tools, and accessories.
Whether you love to sew, sculpt, paint, make pottery and glassware, knit or make lace, make jewellery, embroider or knot macrame, needlework or make rugs and ropes, design greeting cards or carve leather, floral design or basket weaving, and everything in between, you’ll always find yourself surrounded in crafting tools, ornaments, and accessories.
When you have too many accessories to handle, what you need the most in your craft room or workroom is a good craft organizer.
Having the right storage solutions for all your accessories and tools can make a world of difference to your work environment and your work quality, so you should definitely invest in the right one.
In this article, you’ll learn about the best craft organizers in the market, and all the features you should look for in the right one for you.
Top 12 Best Craft Storage Organizers in 2021
Whether you want something big or something small, a portable organizer or one that takes up the whole room – here’s a list of all the best craft organizers for you to choose from.
1. Honey-Can-Do Rolling Storage Cart
If you are looking for something compact, flexible and moveable, this rolling storage cart from Honey-Can-Do is the perfect option for you. It comes with 12 plastic drawers in various sizes that you can pull out and put back, but also remove and take with you to another room.
This cart is not just good for storing your accessories and tools, but also for working on them. The table on top of the storing cart is a small one, but perfect for working on, while standing or sitting on a chair.
You can even use the tabletop it to keep the tools you are using at the moment, but when you don’t want to crowd your original workspace.
This storage cart is 15” in length, 25” in width and 32” in height. The drawers are al 9.5” in breadth and 12” in length, varying from 2.6” to 5.1” in depth. They are the perfect height of drawers not just for your crafting room, but also for schools, classrooms, offices or art studios.
From the smaller accessories to the bigger tools – buttons, measuring tapes, painting brushes, paint or easels, threads and needles, glue guns, etc. You can keep everything in these drawers to find whenever you need something.
As each of these drawers is of different sizes, so you can assign different drawers for different objects, and find them easily later.
This storage cart from Honey-Can-Do comes with instruction and assembly tools, so you can put it together in minutes. They also have wheels, which makes it easier for you to move the entire storage cart with you wherever you need it to be.
If you feel like working in your bedroom or living room instead of your crafting room, you can simply take all your accessories and tools with you instead of having to choose a particular drawer.
- Comes with 12 drawers of varied sizes
- Can be used as an additional workspace/worktable
- Dimension: 15”L x 32”H x 25”W
- Drawer dimension: 12.5” L x 9.5” W
- Drawers have a depth from 2.6” to 5.1”
- Comes with wheels for mobility
- Can also be used in schoolrooms, offices, art studios and home
- Wheels can be locked to stop mobility
- Semi-transparent drawers for your viewing
- Lightweight and compact
2. Seville Classics 10-drawer Organizer Cart
If you want something colourful, this 10-drawer organizer from Seville Classics is the one for you. It is a tall organizer, with a height of 38.2” and a width of 12.8”. The drawers are all of the same sizes, with an inner dimension of 13.63” Diameter, 2.6” height and 9.5” width.
The drawers are all vividly colourful, non-transparent, and keeps drawers safely inside the cart, even when the cart is in motion. The cart comes with wheels, which means that you can move it anywhere you want inside your house, keep all your accessories and tools with you even when you are out of your crafting room.
You can keep anything in these drawers and no one will know what’s inside without you. The drawers all have a pearlescent finish, in beautiful bright colours, two drawers each of red, orange, green, blue, and purple.
The drawers can be removed from the cart, and easily slid in. The drawers are unattached to the cart, but the cart will hold the drawers safely even when you are moving them. The design is tall and slim; this cart is only going to take up a little space in your crafting room if you don’t have a lot of space.
This storage unit has a small workspace on top; it’s not very big, but there’s still enough space for you to work on. Since this storage cart is tall enough, you can only use the worktable when standing, or on a very high chair.
The drawers may seem lightweight and small, but they can each hold up to 3.3 lbs of weight.
- 10-drawer storage cart
- Dimension: 15.3” diameter x 12.8” width x 38.2” height
- Same-size drawers of 9.5” width and 2.6” depth
- Plastic, pearlescent finish
- 10 drawers of 5 colours
- Four castors mobile storage unit
- Comes with wheels for mobility
- Each drawer can hold 3.3 lbs of weight
- Tall handles to push and pull around
- Can be used for storing makeup, brushes and paints, etc
- Cart holds trays steady when moving
- Drawers can be removed and put back easily
- The small work table on the top
- Metal handles and sides
3. Akro-Mils 10126 Plastic Parts Storage
For all the small parts, accessories and tools you are ever going to need in your crafting, this is the perfect storage unit for you. It’s a small box, but one that comes with 26 drawers.
The drawers are of two sizes: 6 large drawers with a dimension of 6” x 4½” x 2” and 20 small drawers with a dimension of 6” x 2 ¼” x 1⅝”. These drawers are perfect for everything that’s small and easy to lose, i.e. buttons, beads, fishing hooks, pens and markers, pins and needles.
The storage unit is small enough to be put on your work table so that you always have your small accessories with you. You can put it on your table, and you can reach for your accessories any time you want to.
The rugged polystyrene frame is sturdy and long-lasting; you can use this storage unit for many years without any wear and tear, or any kind of breaking. The dividers for the drawers are moulded into the storage unit, which makes it easy for you to remove the drawers whenever you need them.
- 26 drawers in total
- 6 large drawers and 20 small drawers
- 6” x 4½” x 2” dimension of large drawers
- 6” x 2 ¼” x 1⅝” dimension of small drawers
- Small enough to put on your work table
- Strong polystyrene frame
- Drawer dividers moulded into the frame
- Drawers can be taken out when needed
- Perfect for separating small accessories and tools
4. Outuxed 2-pack Plastic Jewelry Organizer
This is a 2-pack set of relatively smaller organizers, each one with a dimension of 10.8” length x 1.8” height x 7.0” width. They are perfect for all the small accessories that you are going to need in your crafting, everything from needles and buttons to beads, screws and nuts to pens and markers.
The storage boxes are made from transparent plastic and come with 5 sheets of label stickers for you to use. The dividers are detachable and transferable, which means that you can remove the dividers to change the size of the compartments.
This way, you can place your needles, threads and buttons in the same box, or your markers and pens in the same box as your paper clips and pins.
These are mainly jewellery organizers for you to put in your earrings, rings and pendants, necklaces and beads; as well as your fishing hooks, pins and needles, and everything else you’ll need in crafting.
- Made from eco-friendly PP plastic
- Clear and transparent for easy viewing
- Dimension: 10.8” x 1.8” x 7.0”
- Each grid is 1.7” x 1.7” x 1.1” in size
- Horizontal dividers can be removed and rearranged to change the shape of boxes
- Shipped inside a shock-proof bubble wrap
- Perfect for small accessories, tools and jewellery
- Comes with label stickers
5. Novelinks Photo Case Box Storage
This is a storage box that can actually house 16 other storage boxes, all for storing small accessories, tools or supplies for your crafting needs. Each of these smaller storage boxes is 4” x 6” in size, just big enough to keep photographs.
Together, these storage boxes can keep up to 1600 photographs inside, separated for your own convenience. The boxes can be snap-shut, keeping air and moisture outside, and your precious photos safe for a long time.
If you have a lot of photographs in the house that you want to confine inside a small space, this is the ideal solution for it. Placing them inside photo albums would take up a lot of space, but inside a single box, they’ll stay compact.
You can also use these boxes to put in your smaller jewellery, beads and buttons, fishing hooks and spare nuts and screws.
The outer box is 12.0” x 5.1” x 14.8” in size and holds 16 smaller cases inside, 8 on each side. Both the inner boxes and the outer box can be shut with a snap, and are extremely sturdy.
- One outer box and 16 inner boxes
- Outer box dimension: 12.0” x 5.1” x 14.8”
- Inner box dimension: 4.7” x 6.70” x 1.23”
- Perfect for photographs, beads, buttons, screws and nuts
- 8 smaller boxes on each side
- Snap-shut inner and outer box
- Each box can hold up to 100 photos
- The whole box can hold a total of 1600 photos
- Boxes can hold 6” x 4” photographs
- Perfect for storing photographs for a long time
- Can be used to keep your home and office clean
- Sturdy box not easy to break
6. 12 Cube Organizer Closet Shelves Unit
If you are looking for something lightweight, portable and affordable, this is the right storage unit for you. You can simply install it on any wall of your crafting room and keep all your supplies, crafting tools and accessories in the drawers.
This storage unit comes with 12 drawers of two different sizes; you get 3 smaller drawers and 9 bigger drawers in this storage closet. You can arrange them any way you want to, depending on the space you have in your room.
This storage unit isn’t just great for your craft room, but also for your office, playrooms, libraries and studies. They are great for temporary installation in dorms and hostels, also.
You can keep anything in these drawers from your tools and materials to all the buttons, beads, threads and needles that you might need.
The drawers can be removed and put in whenever you want to; if your work table is far away from your storage unit or if you feel like working outside your craft room, you can simply take the necessary drawers out with you.
You can get this storage closet unit in five different colours, from dark grey to aqua blue, beige to black, as well as light grey.
- Flexible organization style
- You can organize these drawers in any design you want to
- Comes with a total of 12 drawers
- 3 smaller drawers and 9 larger drawers
- Perfect for craft rooms, nurseries, offices and dorms
- Comes in five colours
- Drawers can be taken out and put back in
- Lightweight and compact
- Needs to be assembled at home
- Can be taken apart and reassembled
7. Arts and Crafts Supply Center with 20 Drawers
This is a storage unit complete with 20 drawers of the same size, just long enough for pens, pencils and markers, but also big enough for buttons, beads, googly eyes, stickers, erasers and pencil sharpeners.
Both for adult craft-lovers and children, this red art and craft supply centre can be a big hit in birthday parties, theme parties and backyard barbecue parties with children invited.
What’s so unique about this craft centre is that it comes fully supplied with 20 different kinds of craft supplies that you’ll love. Starting from 50 pieces of pom-poms and 30 pieces of pop sticks, you also get marker pens and gel pens, glue tubes, gemstones, foam stickers, felt alphabets, stickers, feathers, coloured pencils, bows, glitter glue, pipe cleaners and buttons with this craft centre.
Whether you want to make photo frames, greeting cards, collages or puppets with your child – you can get everything in this set.
This red plastic organizer comes with a dimension of 15” x 7.5” x 6”, with 20 miniature drawers inside, each filled with different craft accessories. You can pull out and remove the drawers if needed, and later use them for a different purpose when your child is done playing with them.
This craft storage unit and supply centre can be the perfect gift for any child who likes crafting or even for an adult who works with their hands.
- Red craft supply organizer with 20 removable drawers
- Comes fully stocked with 20 kinds of crafting supplies
- Dimension: 15” x 7.5” x 6”
- Perfect for parties, rainy days, vacations and gifts
- Can be used to make photo frames, monsters, collages and cards
- Both for adults and children
- Can be reused for a different purpose
- All supplies come individually packed
8. SGHUO 2-pack Clear Plastic Storage Box
For all those smaller accessories that you might need in crafting, sewing and painting, this is a 2-pack set of two clear plastic boxes with 15 grids inside, each.
The boxes are both of the same sizes, with a dimension of 10.86” x 6.5” x 2.2” and each of the grids inside have a dimension of 2.05” x 1.96” x 2.2”. The grids are just the best size for washi tapes, buttons, beads and threads, and many other similar small accessories, but you can also change the sizes of the grids by taking out the dividers.
Both the horizontal and the vertical dividers can be adjusted. You can create a total of 15 grids inside each box, or any number less than 15. You can also simply use the box for all your pens, coloured pencils, markers and paintbrushes by removing all the dividers inside.
The entire box is transparent so that you’ll always know the location of the accessory you want at the moment at a glance, without having to open the lid or rummage through the boxes.
These storage boxes are compact, lightweight and affordable, and will keep all your crafting supplies separate and organized. You can stack dozens of such boxes, full to the brim, one over another, without any harm coming to your accessories.
- 2-pack plastic storage box
- 15 grids inside each box
- Both horizontal and vertical dividers are adjustable
- Transparent body and lid
- Can be stacked
- Sturdy plastic body
- Lightweight and compact
- Perfect for washi tapes, beads, buttons, stones, fishing hooks, etc
- Made from eco-friendly PP plastic
- Dimension: 10.86” x 6.5” x 2.2”
- Grid dimension: 2.05” x 1.96” x 2.2”
- 2.2” depth of boxes
- Comes in a shock-proof bubble bag
9. Bins & Things 30 Adjustable Compartments Storage
If you frequently need to travel with your accessories and supplies, then this is the perfect flexible and mobile storage container for you. This is a medium-sized 3-tiered compartment that you can use together, or in parts.
There are a total of 30 compartments inside, 10 in each tier, each with a dimension of 3.3” x 2.2” x 2.2”. Together, the 3 tiers have a dimension of 10” x 6.5” 7.2”; you can snap shut all three tiers together, or carry them separately in your hands.
This organizer also has a top part with a handle, that you can use with any of the three tiers; similarly, you can get more sets of the same model, and turn your 3-tier organizer into a 6-tier one or a 9-tier one.
These organizers are made from plastic and extremely lightweight; you can carry dozens of boxes in your hands and they won’t feel heavy.
These organizers are especially great for any kind of sewing supplies, i.e. needles, dozens of threads, bobbins, buttons, beads and even your scissors and other tools. The boxes are all transparent so you can easily see what’s inside which box without having to open any of them.
The handle and the sturdy snap-shut lock makes it easy for you to carry your supplies with you, which makes this the perfect organizer for fashion designers, tailors, instructors, and makeup artists.
- 3-tiered plastic organizer
- Can be used together or separately
- 30 adjustable compartments inside
- All vertical and horizontal dividers can be removed and adjusted
- Transparent plastic design
- Perfect for sewing and crafting supplies, makeup and painting supplies
- Portable, compact and lightweight
- Comes with a handle on top cover for carrying
- Compatible with additional sets of the same model and brand
- Sturdy and durable plastic
10. ArtBin Store-in-Drawer Cabinet
When you have space on your walls but not on the floor, this is the right storage organizer for you. It’s rather large with a dimension of 14.75” x 6” x 8.75” that you can mount on your walls, just within reach of your crafting table, without wasting any space in your room.
Not just one, you can get three or more of these and cover your whole wall, with ample space for everything you might need for all your crafting supplies. They can also be put on your tables, or stacked on another organizer of a similar brand and model.
Each of the plastic, transparent drawers are 1.5” x 2.25” x 5.5” in size, the perfect shape and size for threads, needles, bobbins, wool, buttons, beads, markers and pens, colouring pens and paintbrushes, or even your makeup.
The doors of the drawers are transparent so that you’ll always know the location of your accessories, without having to open all the drawers searching. The drawers can all be removed and put back; they are sturdy and lightweight.
- Storage unit with 30 drawers
- Can be mounted on walls or stacked
- Can be put on tabletop or on counters
- Dimension: 14.75” x 6” x 8.75”
- Drawer dimension: 1.5” x 2.25” x 5.5”
- Transparent fronts
- Easy-to-pull handles
- Perfect for sewing supplies, painting and crafting supplies, makeup
- Sturdy plastic drawers and body
11. IRIS 6-drawer Scrapbook Cart with Organizer Top
For a flexible and mobile experience, this is a 7-layered organizer shelf that comes complete with 6 separate cases. Each of the cases fit perfectly inside the shelves for storage that you can also take with you on your travels and jobs.
This is the perfect organizer for a professional fashion designer, tailor, makeup artist, instructor or crafting enthusiast who has to frequently travel with their supplies.
You can simply take out one or more of these cases from the accessories from the shelves and pack them in your luggage, or carry them in your bags. All the cases are double latched, sturdy and will keep your accessories separate, even when on the move.
The entire organizer is 14.3” x 15.9” x 26.8” and each of the cases are 14.4” x 14.1” x 3.1” in dimension. The corners are rounded without any dividers or compartments inside, perfect for tools, small accessories, keepsakes and photographs.
The top of the storage unit also comes with dividers and compartments for your bigger crafting tools. The organizer has wheels at the bottom so that you can easily move it around your home or workplace.
- 7-layered organizer shelf
- 6 separate cases that can be removed and stored
- Unit dimension: 14.3” x 15.9” x 26.8”
- Individual case dimension: 14.4” x 14.1” x 3.1”
- Rounded cornered cases
- Double latched cases perfect for travelling with
- The top of the unit is compartmentalized for storage
- Comes with four wheels for mobility
- Transparent cases
- Sturdy cases and frames
- Cases can be stacked while travelling with
- Perfect for tools, accessories, photographs and keepsakes
- Lightweight at under 12 pounds
12. Creative Option 1363-5 Grab N’ Go Rack Systems
For everyone who has to frequently travel with their crafting accessories, sewing and knitting supplies, painting utensils or professional makeup, this is the perfect solution for storage and mobility.
This is a total of four compartments in a single unit, and they can all be kept safely locked inside the unit. With three slide-in removable cases at the bottom and one latched compartment on the top, every single one of your accessories and tools can snugly fit inside this single organizer unit.
The top compartment is fixed with a large safety latch, but the three cases at the bottom can be removed for mobility. The cases at the bottom can also be safely locked inside the hatch with a transparent cover and lock, in case you are travelling with the set.
The compartments are of all different depths. In this single organizer, you get 3 deep cases and 1 slightly shallower one, for all the smaller accessories. Although none of the compartments is divided into grids or segments, you can separate your belongings by compartments.
The entire unit has the dimension of 13.125” x 9.875” x 13.75”, including the bulk storage on the top.
- Perfect for travelling with and moving
- Can be safely locked for movement
- 3 separate cases and one attached top storage unit
- All cases and compartments can be safely locked in
- Non-grid compartments
- Compartments of different depths
- Unit dimension: 13.125” x 9.875” x 13.75”
- Comes in two sizes: small and medium
- Comes in two colours
- Comes with a carrying handle
List of Features to Look For Best Craft Organizer: Ultimate Buying Guide
Whether you are looking for a large organizer for your craft room or multiple smaller ones for travelling with, there are a number of options for you to choose from.
Apart from the usual choices you have in design, price, size and colour options, there are a number of other features that should be present in the storage organizer.
This is a list of all the features that should be present in the best craft organizers to make your crafting journey easier and faster.
Transparency is quite helpful when it comes to storage. Most of the craft organizers available in the market are made of transparent plastic, which makes it easier for you to see everything that’s inside.
The Akron-Mils 10126 Plastic Parts Storage, the Novelinks Photo Case Box Storage, the 12 Cube Organizer Closet Shelves Unit and the Arts and Crafts Supply Center with 20 Drawers all have transparent drawers, cases and compartments, and the Honey-Can-Do Rolling Storage Cart have semi-transparent compartments.
On the other hand, the Seville Classics 10-drawer Organizer Cart isn’t at all transparent. It means that you get some privacy with this organizer, but also that you have to open each and every one of the drawers to find something.
With transparent drawers, you can tell at a glance, without having to open every single one, know what’s inside.
2. Space-Saving Designs
If you have enough space in your crafting room, you can buy any big organizer for the floor to store all of your craft supplies. However, if you don’t have enough floor space, or if you don’t have a separate room for crafting, you might need an organizer that’s compact and portable.
For example, the ArtBin Store-in-Drawer Cabinet can be mounted on the wall, saving you floor space. This organizer can also be mounted on top of similar models on your table, or put inside a closet for when you need it.
If you have further problems with space, you might want to invest in smaller organizers, like the Novelinks Photo Case Box Storage, the Arts and Crafts Supply Center with 20 Drawers or the SGHUO 2-pack Clear Plastic Storage Box.
These craft organizers are small enough to hide away inside your closet until you need to use them. You can even take single cases or boxes out of your closet to work with, instead of the whole thing, in case you don’t have a craft room but prefer to work in your bed, couch or dining table.
Some craft organizers come with wheels on the bottom, which makes it easier for you to move them around the house. If you sometimes feel like working in your living room, in your bed or in front of the television, you can take your entire organizer with you.
The Honey-Can-Do Rolling Storage Cart, the Seville Classics 10-drawer Organizer Cart, and the IRIS 6-drawer Scrapbook Cart with Organizer Top comes with wheels, and can be carted away with you anywhere you want it to go.
Sometimes, you need to carry your crafting supplies with you, as do professional makeup artists, craft instructors or crafting enthusiasts belonging to a group. If you need to travel with your supplies when you leave the house, or when you are travelling, you need an organizer you can carry with you.
The Creative Option 1363-5 Grab N’ Go Rack Systems, for example, is a 4-compartment organizer that you can lock up for safe transportation and comes with a handle for you to carry with you.
The Bins & Things 30 Adjustable Compartments Storage, too, is a 3-tiered organizer with a handle. Other smaller craft organizers that have built-in locks can also be carried with you on your journeys.
5. Size of Drawers and Compartments
If the craft organizer that you choose have compartments and drawers of different sizes and depths, it is easier for you to store your different types of accessories and supplies.
With different depths and sizes in the same organizer, you can keep your scissors, beads, buttons and markers in the same box, which makes it easier for you to keep everything you are going to need in the same place. It is also easier to travel with these organizers that have different types of supplies and tools.
The Honey-Can-Do Rolling Storage Cart has drawers of two different depths: one type deeper than the other; the Akro-Mils 10126 Plastic Parts Storage, too, has 6 large drawers and 20 smaller drawers.
On the other hand, in the Outuxed 2-pack Plastic Jewelry Organizer, you can adjust the dividers inside the boxes to change the size and shape of the grids, make it possible to hold different kinds of tools and supplies in the same box.
6. Type of Crafting
Of course, the kind of crafting you are interested in might also influence your choice of craft organizer. If you like to sew, you’ll need a big organizer with large trays and drawers to keep your materials, as well as small drawers for your threads, needles, buttons and beads.
The Seville Classics 10-drawer Organizer Cart might be more suited for this kind of crafting. In the same way, for knitting, you need an organizer with deep drawers to hold your balls of wool and yarn, as well as drawers for your knitting needles, such as the 12 Cube Organizer Closet Shelves Unit.
For paper-related crafting, making greeting cards and photo frames, you’ll need an organizer with lots of small drawers and compartments, like the Novelinks Photo Case Box Storage and the Arts and Crafts Supply Center with 20 Drawers. The latter actually comes with 20 different types of crafting supplies for papercrafts.
Besides, your decision to buy a craft organizer also depends on the amount of space you have in your quilting or craft room or craft table, the number of supplies you work with, and the price you are willing to pay.
7) Modular Stacking Availability
Modular Stacking is crucial and ideal for your craft room if you have limited space as it allows you to place multiple drawers over each other. Depending upon the height you can reach up to, you can place the drawers using modular stacking to organize your craft supplies in less area.
But for proper modular stacking, the size of craft organizers must be equal so it can balance the weight when you stack one onto another. Otherwise, you will end up cluttering your craft room with huge boxes and no space left. Modular stacking make your craft supplies look more organized and easy to reach with its compact design.
Partitioning panels are the must-have things a storage box or craft organizer cabinet should have for organizing your craft supplies in a neat and clean manner. Most of the organizers comes with removable shelves these days so you can place or unplace them according to your requirements and craft supplies.
Apart from it, there are some organizers that comes with both shelves and cabinets to organize the supplies in a sophisticated manner without any mess or cluttering.
Together, all these factors will help you decide on a particular model and brand.
Best DIY Craft Room Organization Ideas
1) Use Transparent Storage Jars to store your Craft Supplies
It is always advisable to use transparent and funky storage jars with vibrant color lids to store your carft supplies so you can easily find the stuff when you need it without opening it to check.
You can use Apotheracy Jars or Transparent Storage Jars for small craft supplies like stationery, buttons, sewing material, or other must-haves. This way you will be able to add vibrant colours and creativity in your craft room in an organized manner.
2) Customize Your Pegboard Wall with Craft Supplies
The best way to keep your craft supplies organized using shelves and cabinets is by customizing the pegboard wall. Alternatively, you can also utilise desk storage solution to categorise your supplies and keep them organized in shelves and cabinets.
To customize your pegboard wall, you can place your colurful supplies in bins, rods, etc. according to your preference and designing sense.
3) Transform the unused closet into craft organizer cabinet
The other way to keep your supplies organized in your craft room is to place them neatly in an unused closet using the craft organizer cabinets, shelves and drawers. You can add removable shelves of various heights and sizes to make partitions and then can organise your big and small craft supplies accordingly.
To make your craft cabinet more vibrant and attractive, you can use contrasting colour storage boxes, labels, binders, etc.
4) Hang Shelves and Rods to organize more stuff in less space
By hanging shelves and rods in your craft room, you can free up space in a smart manner. To keep small items in place, you can hang cups on the rods and place your small supplies category wise in each cup. Similarly, you can hang shelves to keep colourful baskets, bins and boxes on them logically for easy application.
To keep these things in your reach during your DIY projects, place these hanging rods and shelves right above your workspace so you never miss or search anything when required.
With these DIY craft room organization ideas, you can save a lot of space and can organize your little but useful supplies in more organized manner with lots of creativity.
Organizing and Taking Care of a Craft Organizer
Most craft organizers are made from PP plastic, so they are not very hard to take care of. However, you still need to keep them clean and tidy; otherwise, all your precious crafting supplies can get dirty and unorganized.
Here are some tips about organizing and cleaning your craft room and your craft organizer and storage unit that can help.
1) The most important rule to follow in organizing is to assign specific compartments for different objects. When you are working with too many crafting accessories and supplies, it is easy to make a mess. If you don’t have separate compartments for everything, you’ll only end up keeping everything together, and not find the right thing when you need it.
It’s not hard to keep everything separate. Even if you don’t work with a large number of supplies, there are a lot of small boxes that can be divided into smaller grids for you to keep the miniature supplies separate, like buttons, beads, gemstones, stickers, felt alphabets, fabric flowers, etc.
The Outuxed 2-pack Plastic Jewelry Organizer, for example, is a 2-pack set of plastic boxes that each have 36 compartments inside.
The Akron-Mils 10126 Plastic Parts Storage, too, can be placed on your craft table, which comes with 6 large drawers and 20 smaller drawers.
2) Always have a specific location for working. The best option is to have your own crafting room, but if you don’t have the space, you can use any other table in the house for your crafts. However, make sure whatever table you use is solely used for crafting, and nothing else. None of your crafting projects and supplies should ideally leave this table. You can leave the table at a second’s notice and come back to your ongoing project without anything being touched.
However, if you don’t have an exclusive table for crafting but use your dining table, coffee table or study table for crafting, it is still important that you keep all your supplies together.
The best option for such a situation is to use a mobile organizer, something that you can push and pull to any room in the house with you. This way, all your crafting materials, supplies and ongoing projects will stay in one place, wherever you are working.
3) Just like you can assign separate compartments for your supplies, it also helps if you can attach labels to each of the compartments. This way, you can see, at a single glance, where everything is, and you only need to open the drawer that has the accessory you need at the moment.
The Outuxed 2-pack Plastic Jewelry Organizer comes with 5 sheets of label stickers, but you can buy blank sticker pads for any craft organizer that you own. With labels over each box or each drawer, you’ll know exactly which one you need, and exactly where to put back your supplies.
4) Another important rule to remember is to always put back your tools, accessories and supplies to their assigned compartments. Even when you are in a hurry, haphazardly putting your supplies back into your organizer can make a mess of everything.
Later, you’ll have to spend hours putting everything back to the compartments they belong in, which is a complete waste of time and energy. This is why, it is important that you always put the excess supplies back to the drawers, trays or boxes they belong to.
5) A smart way to avoid making a mess is to only take out the tools and supplies you need at the moment. Even if you have a large work table with plenty of space, only take out exactly what you need.
When you are applying buttons to your clothes or using beads, glueing paper together or adding stickers, keep the box/drawer open beside you and take out the supplies, one after another. This is easier to do with almost all craft organizers as they allow the complete removal of a drawer or a tray, even when the organizer is attached to the floor or mounted on the wall.
The 12 Cube Organizer Closet Shelves Unit, for example, can be set up on your craft room floor, but you can remove the drawers to take them to your desk, and put them back later when you are done working. The ArtBin Store-in-Drawer Cabinet, too, can be mounted on the wall, but the drawers can be taken out for use.
6) If you love crafting simply for your own enjoyment, there is a chance your finished products are mounting up in your craft room. Apart from crafting-enthusiasts who sell their work, everyone else has a large number of completed projects that are building up dust and making a mess.
If this is you, start selling or giving away your work. You might not have enough space in your cupboards and organizers, but your loved ones would love to have such a personalized gift from you.
If you sell your products, even for a little profit, you might be able to make some extra money to buy more supplies. However, if you don’t want to charge for your creations, you can simply give them away to people who’ll appreciate them.
7) Every now and then, at least once in a few months, you need to thoroughly go through your craft supplies. There would be a lot of useless supplies that you can simply throw away, such as dried-up glue and paints, torn stickers and old primers, mediums and resins, dull needles and scissors, etc.
These kinds of useless supplies fill up your craft organizer when you can simply throw them away.
If you keep on storing them in your organizer, you are soon going to need new boxes and drawers for storage, while your older ones are filled to the brim with unusable products that you have to rummage through every time you need something.
8) If you find a lot of old and useless paper in your craft organizer, turn them all into confetti. You can use this confetti in making decorations for a party, inside balloons, in photo frames and any other festive crafts, or in greeting cards, or simply to have fun with your children.
Colourful papers make the best confetti, but if you have plain ones, you can paint them in vibrant colours or glitter glue.
Cutting them up into little pieces can also be a fun family activity for a rainy day. Confetti will take up very little space in one of your craft organizer drawers, and they are tons of fun for everyone.
9) Whenever you can, use your walls. If you have a relatively smaller craft room with not much floor space, or if you work in your living room/bedroom/dining room, you might need to use the walls for all your storage needs. Besides, it is better to use your empty walls for storage instead of piling up boxes on your work table.
The ArtBin Store-in-Drawer Cabinet can be mounted on your walls or stacked on your table and comes with a total of 30 drawers. If you don’t want to put up organizers on your wall, you can also nails and pegboards to hang baskets from them. You can also use your walls to display your creations, in frames or hooks.
10) When you are buying an organizer, don’t be afraid to get a big one, given that you have enough space on your floor, walls or table. Even if you are a beginner with not many supplies to start with, invest in a big one. This will save you from upgrading or adding new mismatched boxes to your collection; you can keep on filling the one you have invested in.
Even if you don’t continue crafting for long or if you don’t end up with too many supplies, you can always use the organizer some something else.
11) Empty and wipe your drawers and boxes as often as you can. You can do this once a month, or once every two months. Empty the drawers and keep similar supplies together, and give your plastic drawers a good wipe with a dry or wet piece of cloth.
If you’ve been storing glitter or glue in these drawers, they might need a good wash with soap and water. You can also keep your supplies and organizer drawers in the sun for an hour or so to keep them dry and airy, given it is not a windy day. If the day is windy, you might just end up losing half your supplies.
12) You won’t even have to buy an expensive organizer for your crafts if you don’t have the funds at the moment. Since you are obviously a creative person, you can use anything in the house for storage: shoe boxes, empty cereal boxes, baskets, old bags. All you need to do is label them accordingly, and maybe colour them in the same, vibrant colours.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Which Material is best for Craft Organizers?
Craft storage boxes comes in various materials ranging from durable fabric to plastic, wood, etc. But the most trusted materials for organizers are stainless steel, MDF boards and wooden boxes as they are highly durable and long lasting.
2) What is craft storage cart and how it is useful?
Craft Storage Cart is a smart and convenient solution to keep your craft supplies in place using less space. A craft storage cart is generally portable with high-quality metal frame and multiple storage cabines made of plastic or any other material (depend upon the brand and model type). As a single storage cart consists of multiple cabinets or drawers, you can keep numerous supplies from small to big, category-wise in a single cart by saving lots of space.
3) Are all craft organizers are stackable and mountable?
No, not all craft storage organizers are stackable and mountable & thus you must check it before buying. The stackability and mounting ability of the organizer depends upon its size and weight. It can be stackable and mountable only if the organizers are equal in size and weight so it can balance multiple layers without breaking down. Also, it must be lightweight for better mounting and stacking properties. The more lightweight an organizer will be, the more mount ability and stack ability it has.
When you are interested in any type of crafting, it is a guarantee that you will end up with a lot of supplies and accessories. A lot.
The best, and sometimes the only way, to keep them from becoming a mess is to invest in a good craft organizer. From small to large, there are a number of designs and models to choose from, but having the right one can definitely make your life easier.